Plethora of Noises...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my KK about a month ago and after assessing it for a while, I have a few questions about some noises i've been hearing among other things.

First: While driving I hear what sounds like crickets chirping. It's affected by speed, but not by braking. It always makes the noise, regardless of the weather and such, but I can only hear it with the windows open.

Second: When turning sharply (such as into a parking spot) it sounds like something is grinding. The noise seems to be in the front end somewhere, but I can't pinpoint the noise exactly.

Lastly: This might just be the nature of the beast, but with the auto transmission, the shift from first to second gear is rather jerky. The rest of the gears are smooth though. Is this normal behavior? Or should I be worried?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First: No idea.

Second: Normal if the steering wheel is turned to full lock.

Lastly: I owned a 2006 that was a bit jerky from 1st to 2nd. I thought something was wrong. But when I recently traded up to a 2011 (which has as we speak, about 1,500 miles on it) it does the same thing. So it's definitely the nature of the transmission. Don't wail on the throttle as much and it won't be as noticeable. Soft starts, in other words.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll back off a bit on the throttle (where appropriate).

So, does the grinding hurt anything? Any idea where the noise actually comes from?

I'll have to keep checking on those crickets ;)

Thanks for the help!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st to 2nd is almost always rough if I am not not going fast enough. In slow / stop & go traffic, it can never make up its mind.. 1 - 2 -- bang 1 high rpm ok 2, then slow down and speed up just about to downshift, a big mess..