Please Read - [POSSIBLE LBJ FAILURE ON MORE MODELS?]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
For those who don't visit LOST frequently, please follow this link and read this thread. Looks like the Lower Ball Joints are starting to fail in the models NOT previously effected by the recall.

LOST Thread

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone post pictures of normal vs. failed ? I have no idea how to check these. [-o<

thanks!
/jackie

2003KJ

Reaction score
Jackie, if you go to the 3rd or 4th page in the thread, clint posted instructions on how to check it, and pics of his pulled off his jeep.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Jackie, if you go to the 3rd or 4th page in the thread, clint posted instructions on how to check it, and pics of his pulled off his jeep.

Wow, thanks. I missed that!

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what the VOSA government bosy say in the UK..Launch 2004??

Vehicle Recall Details

Reference : R/2004/016
Manufacturer Ref : C36
Make: JEEP
Model : CHEROKEE
Launch Date : 01/06/2004
Numbers Involved : 7129
Build Start Date :
Build End Date :

Details

Concern : POSSIBLE SEPARATION OF FRONT SUSPENSION BALL JOINT
Description : Water may enter the front suspension ball joints, this can cause the ball joint to corrode and separate.
Remedial Action : Replace any corroded ball joints and fit dirt/water shields to all vehicles.
Vehicle Id :

Other Vehicles Affected (Click the vehicle to perform an extended search)

CHEROKEE

Home | Back

You must be registered for see images

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

Other recalls:

Page : Page 1 of 1

Results Found : 10 search results
Criteria : (JEEP CHEROKEE) ordered on rec_launch_date for the date range 01/1/2000 to 01/12/2005
Information : Click on the recalls number to expand the detail and hover over the concern for a quick insight into the defect
Please note that certain recalls have the same reference number, but relate to different models/variants of the same manufacturer/vehicle.

# Launch Date Recalls Number Make Model(s) Concern VIN Start VIN End Build Start Build End
1 02/08/2000 R/2000/069 JEEP Cherokee air bag warning light and / or airbags may operate/ deploy without warning. Various
2 12/04/2002 R/2001/156 JEEP Cherokee instrument panel cover concern Various 01/01/2001 31/12/2001
3 19/08/2002 R/2001/166 JEEP CHEROKEE and GRAND CHEROKEE front brake rotors (discs) may fail. 01/01/1990 31/12/1999
4 19/08/2002 R/2001/166 JEEP CHEROKEE and GRAND CHEROKEE front brake rotors (discs) may fail. To be advised 01/01/1990 31/12/1999
5 29/11/2002 R/2002/116 JEEP CHEROKEE possible loss of servo assistance
6 29/11/2002 R/2002/061 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE and WRANGLER underbonnet fire concern 01/01/2001 31/12/2002
7 06/01/2003 R/2002/104 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE side airbag may not deploy 01/01/2002 23/07/2002
8 04/08/2003 R/2003/020 JEEP CHEROKEE possible loss of brake servo assistance
9 04/08/2003 R/2003/019 JEEP CHEROKEE possible loss of brake servo assistance
10 01/06/2004 R/2004/016 JEEP CHEROKEE possible separation of front suspension ball joint
[1]

Home | Back

2003KJ

Reaction score
Chrysler THOUGHT it was 02's and early 03's, but now its appearing on late 03's and even 04's (clint's is an 04)

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's point out some things. This becomes an issue after a varied amount of miles and usage, and is covered under a recall notice, so you shouldn't have to pay a dime. This is an obvious issue, but every vehicle has flaws, for instance, Chevys and waterpumps. The Liberty either 2 or 4wd have a majority of the same componets and were built to go off road, and as users of Jeeps, we tend to beat them up.
I believe a complete and total collapse of control would be a stretch, but it might become difficult to drive, but it's still servicable.
Let's not get all chicken little, the sky is falling, and check the joints on occasion and when there's an issue, bring it up to the service manager to get yourself back on the trail as soon as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Let's point out some things. This becomes an issue after a varied amount of miles and usage, and is covered under a recall notice, so you shouldn't have to pay a dime. This is an obvious issue, but every vehicle has flaws, for instance, Chevys and waterpumps. The Liberty either 2 or 4wd have a majority of the same componets and were built to go off road, and as users of Jeeps, we tend to beat them up.
I believe a complete and total collapse of control would be a stretch, but it might become difficult to drive, but it's still servicable.
Let's not get all chicken little, the sky is falling, and check the joints on occasion and when there's an issue, bring it up to the service manager to get yourself back on the trail as soon as possible. Just my 2 cents.

X2, well put

2003KJ

Reaction score
Trodo said:

I agree with you, however, the recall only covers 02 to early 03 model years. These are occuring on late 03 and 04 model years, where there is no recall for. The only thing to save your rear end there is the warranty, provided you have the extended warranty, or have not gone over your 36K factory one.

Not trying to start a panic "the sky is falling" type scenario here, just trying to make people aware that the fact you have an 03 or 04 KJ that "supposedly" wasn't affected, doesn't mean you're immune to the problem. Don't wanna see any threads to the tune of "well I was driving down the road minding my own business and the damn wheel flew off!"

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that it doesn't cover 03, 04, and I still well within my 7,70. Still well under 36k. I did the "test", for hahas, checking for movement, and came back with zero movement. And I was really trying hard.

I think it's hard to get away from flaws in a vehicle. One of my first as a kid was a 84 Subaru GL wagon, brakes were always messing up, bad design. My first new cars was an S-10. Dumped heat from saturation through the ducts, cooked me alive.

But with any such luck, the recall will expand to cover 03-04 maybe even 05. I'm proud to be a Jeep driver/owner, don't believe I'll drive anything else ever again. So, when does that 4 door Wrangler come out?

palla

Reaction score
I was having a browse through the service manual & it is a requirement at every interval to check the ball joints. This is in the '05 service manual

palla

Latest posts

Members online