Please help with noise from front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMKJ

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here, and I just bought a KJ. I have owned a TJ before but this is my first KJ.

The problem I am having is a decently loud humming from the front passenger side. It does not change when you apply throttle except for getting faster as the vehicle speeds up. It sounds like a loud tire hum, but I rotated the tires and no change at all. My next though was wheel bearing on passenger side, but it does not change if I load the bearing by taking turns or sharply loading and unloading it by turning the wheel going straight. It stays at a constant hum.

My second thought after reading some threads online is the passenger side intermediate shaft Is bad which seems to be a common problem. It is a 2002 with 140,000 miles. The noise also stays the same whether is in 4 wheel drive or 2wd.

I don't know if its connected or not either, but it takes a little longer to lock in 4 wheel drive than it should. I pull the handle and I have to drive forward a bit and wait maybe 10 seconds before it finally locks in.

Also, do the front drive shafts constantly turn in it? Or do they not spin with its in 2wd. I'm thinking they are constantly spinning.

Either way I would like to narrow it down so I can stop and get some parts and tear into it this weekend. And if it's not the wheel bearing I'll get the shaft. Although I've also heard it can be a bearing in the shaft. What parts should I buy to have on hand?

Sorry for the rambling post, I typed this on my phone and my big thumbs find the wrong keys sometimes.

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the front CV axles turn with the wheels, regardless of if you are in 4WD or not. I'd say check the axle boots for signs of cracks or seepage, they are most likely the source of your noise.

While you're under there, take a look at the upper and lower ball joints on both sides. They are probably (not saying for sure, but unless they've been changed already, they may be) bad as well and you'll want to replace them before the wheel falls off. :)

HOWTO: Check your ball joints

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Front driveshaft turns all the time.
Have you checked the rear boot on the front driveshaft? Boot goes bad, CV gets dirt in it and goes bad, causes vibration
Also as you stated right front intermediate shaft / CV , splines wear, vibration starts. Replace both, CV from NAPA

NMKJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response guys. The ball joints are original, so while I have the knuckle off to replace that I probably will just throw in new ball joints with it.

Is this the part I'm looking for? Just the whole assembly, or are there other bearings I'm going to need as well?
--->NAPA AUTO PARTS | PART DETAILS

I will check the boots when I get home. I just bought the vehicle yesterday, I knew it had the whine when I bought it but I got a decent deal on it and knew it was some type of bearing or shaft that I could easily replace.

Last edited:

NMKJ

Reaction score
If I buy that whole assembly is that all I will need to fix the issue? Besides of course replacing the ball joints while I am there (I dont feel like taking the knuckle off again in 10,000 miles to replace the ball joints lol).

You must be registered for see images attach

http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=NMD948053_0191980362

My Napa lists it for 75 bucks for a new one.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my new intermediate shaft above the bad one. You'll know once apart whether yours is bad or good. If you can see your inner cv hub laying at a noticeable downward angle compared to the diff housing, with some good up & down slop when pushed on, then the shaft is likely shot.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I buy that whole assembly is that all I will need to fix the issue? Besides of course replacing the ball joints while I am there (I dont feel like taking the knuckle off again in 10,000 miles to replace the ball joints lol).

NAPA AUTO PARTS | PART DETAILS

My Napa lists it for 75 bucks for a new one.

The intermediate shaft extends from the center differential out to the female end of the CV axle you have pictured. So no, you don't have all the parts if you intend to replace the intermediate shaft. Here is the one I purchased from Amazon for my '03 Renegade. For the CV axle get the remanufactured one from NAPA. It will be the correct length and cost you a little less once you take your core back to them.

And for the upper ball joints... You'll need to replace the entire A-arm as the ball joint is integrated into the arm and is not separately replaceable. For the lowers get the Moogs with the grease fitting.

Bob

NMKJ

Reaction score
Gotcha. That explains it. Without getting it onto the hoist I really dont have an idea right now. Hopefully I can get it up on a hoist this weekend and start tearing into it and figure it out. Perhaps the CV axle is just fine, and all I will need is that axle bearing listed in the part blow up in that link? I guess I will see if I can get it up and listen to it.

Tonight when I get home I will look to see if that intermediate shaft is sitting at an angle. Ill grab hold of it and see if its lose or clunks around where it fits into the CV. How big of a pain is it to replace that bearing if it is that bearing in the passenger side of the diff?

I will check the upper ball joint before I replace it since it is a full unit as the upper ball joint. And if it is still good, that is a much easier one to replace down the road than the lower. I will throw a new lower in it for sure since I will already be there.

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check the upper ball joint before I replace it since it is a full unit as the upper ball joint. And if it is still good, that is a much easier one to replace down the road than the lower. I will throw a new lower in it for sure since I will already be there.

That's a good idea, also you may want to look at the JBA upper control arms. The ball joints on those can be replaced without having to replace the entire arm. If your planning on lifting later and the current uppers aren't bad, just leave them be until you do the lift and get the JBA arms.

NMKJ

Reaction score
So I went out and check tonight The CV axles have both been replaced semi recently. They both have good boots on them, but the passenger side is what I feel is making the noise. I also grabbed the the CV axle where it meets the inner shaft pictured above and there was no noticeable play in it, however, it does seem to maybe take a slight dip instead of being perfectly inline with the diff tube on the right side...nothing serious though.

I ordered the axle shaft bearing at the end of that housing (#22 in that link I posted) from the Jeep dealer today, along with a seal. So I'll take it apart, check the wheel bearing first, then dive in deeper. I hope it's just that cheap bearing on the inside, 20 bucks for the bearing and 10 for the seal is the perfect price for a fix. Although it never seems to work like that but I'll keep my fingers crossed. No one in town stocks the inner shaft so I'm going to cross my fingers it's not screwed up or I'll be waiting a few days for one to come in I order online.

Either way, I hope it's not the pinion bearing but everything I have read says that's more high pitched because it spins faster....

Last edited:

NMKJ

Reaction score
That's a good idea, also you may want to look at the JBA upper control arms. The ball joints on those can be replaced without having to replace the entire arm. If your planning on lifting later and the current uppers aren't bad, just leave them be until you do the lift and get the JBA arms.

I am considering a slight lift, so that is good advice, I appreciate it.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread but wondering if my noise is the same.

02 Liberty, 150,000 miles, Whirring sound starts at about 35 and continues through 50 then tends to disappear. Some roads this is more evident but could be that is because those roads I am stuck at the right speeds for the sound to start. Sound is clearly coming from the front, drivers side more so than the passenger side. I cannot hear it being any louder with the window down, if anything I can't hear it at all from coming from outside.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread but wondering if my noise is the same.

02 Liberty, 150,000 miles, Whirring sound starts at about 35 and continues through 50 then tends to disappear. Some roads this is more evident but could be that is because those roads I am stuck at the right speeds for the sound to start. Sound is clearly coming from the front, drivers side more so than the passenger side. I cannot hear it being any louder with the window down, if anything I can't hear it at all from coming from outside.

Trying to figure out a very similar issue. Was your sound also associated with a vibration that comes through the floor, pedal, and not the steering wheel? Did you ever get it figured out?