Please help! Weird growling noise when braking to a stop!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now before we start, my rear rotors + pads are shot! This may have something to do with that, which is actually what I'm hoping. Today while driving home (from the auto parts store to buy the rotors+pads actually) I noticed that it was driving fine like normal, but when I come to a full stop as I start to almost hit the full stop and take those last few steps I can hear a weird growling noise, like the engine is whining down or something. I could have sworn it sounded like it was coming from the front, but my dad said it sounded like grinding, like you would get when your pads + rotors are GONE and it's grinding metal to metal. What do you guys think? I've never experienced this, and I'm FREAKING OUT! PLEASE HELP!!!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your front brakes might be overheating because the rears are shot is a guess. Change your brakes and see what happens.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like your suspect problem. You are rubbing Steel-on-steel. Your pads are toast. Sometimes, if you wait too long to change the pads, the pad will just crack when very thin and pop off. Then you are grinding the rivets that held the pad to the steel backing plate, and the backing plate itself directly to the rotor. Gotta replace the rotors and pads ASAP. Good luck. Not a tough job to do.