Please help me with this troubleshooting code!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past year, the check engine light has turned on and off sporadically. It'll come on for a week, off for a month, on again for a couple days, off again for a week, etc. Throughout this time (and even today), my Liberty runs flawlessly. I was unemployed for a long time and now that I'm working again, I'd like to take care of this once and for all.

I took my Liberty to a local AutoZone where they plugged that diagnostic tool into my Liberty. The code the guy got was P0122 - Throttle position sensor. The probable causes were listed as 1) Sensor open or shorted internally - replace component, and 2) Check connector and wiring to sensor.

As most of you know, there's a section on this forum listing specific Chrysler troubleshooting codes/explanations. When I went to this section, it said: P0122 Throttle Position Sensor #1 Voltage Low

What would you guys do here? Would you simply replace the part? If so, can somebody post a picture of where it is?

I appreciate your help VERY much! THANKS!

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd seriously consider replacing the TPS (throttle position sensor). The TPS is located on the Throttle body right over the manifold. There are several sensors there, and I don't have a picture, but someone here will tell you exactly which sensor it is.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tps is identified in this photo. It is located on the driver's side Upper sensor on throttle body side. Remove the electrical connector and two Torx bit screws to remove and note while removing, that there is a slotted pin that has to be fit together again for re-assembly. While removed, use spray throttle body cleaner to remove carbon particles in ports. It is a good idea to also clean the ports in the Intake Air Control. (IAC) located below the TPS- The IAC also has an electrical connector.
35242[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Ignore the the no screws comment on IAC they are there but hidden well low and behind hose etc....

Attachments

• IAC1.jpg
    IAC1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 0

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this code about a month ago, I disconnected and reconnected the connector several times to clean the contacts. No problems since. Pull that red piece of plastic back towards the cables first, then press down on the tab in the middle to release.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday the Check Engine light came on again (it had been off for some time.) I figured now was the time to replace the throttle position sensor (TPS).

The torx bolts holding the old TPS in place were a little difficult to remove but I did get them out. The breather hose going into the air cleaner was starting to crack so I replaced that, too. Ditto for a small vacuum hose.

Once I finished, I started the engine but the Check Engine light was still on. Somebody at the dealership suggested disconnecting the battery for five minutes so the computer can reset itself. I did and, sure enough, the Check Engine light was no longer on.

THANKS for everyone's help on this. Total cost = $84 ($68 for a new TPS and $16 for the hoses.)

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that you have replaced the TPS, time to clean up the IAC as well.
This IAC spring/body, can get really carboned up and some throttle body cleaner in the port and on the IAC will help to prolong it's service life and smoothen out the idle of the KJ.
1 torx bit screw I believe on bottom to remove on the IAC, I used a 1/4 ratchet /extension and the torx bit to crack it loose.
37276[/ATTACH]"]

You will see how much dirt/carbon can be removed!
37278[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• IAC8.jpg
    IAC8.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
  • IAC9.jpg
    IAC9.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: