play in cv joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Kj recently developed a leak where the front driver halfshaft meets the front diff. While I was checking it out I am able to wiggle the, for lack of a better explanation, pipe looking bit on the halfshaft at the diff a few millimeters (I'd say less than a centimeter).

How much play, if any, is normal?
Also, I searched and found people have had the dealer replace the seal, but looking at the FSM it seems easy enough to do (unbolt lower balljoint, sway bar, clevis bolt, etc..) but how hard is it to actually R&R the seal without the tool specified in the FSM?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I replaced the diff axle seal on my KJ last year. I rented the puller tool from Auto Zone, and it wasn't overly difficult.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the diff axle seal on my KJ last year. I rented the puller tool from Auto Zone, and it wasn't overly difficult.

Thanks. It seems easy enough looking at the FSM and I just found Ians how-to link and that confirms it is as easy as I thought.

I am just making sure there aren't any weird hurdles or anything but it should be fairly easy.

Does the little circlip get damaged when the axle is pulled out?

Latest posts

Members online