Plastic primer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i'm in the process of painting my passenger side A - Piller to match the Lotek gauge pod and having a REALLY hard time getting paint to stick to it Mad
I'm already using Dupli color vinyl and fabric paint. Had no problems with the gauge pod. So What now? I have lightly sanded it, Cleaned it with Rubbing alcohol. But the crap WILL NOT stick. Is there a PRIMER That will BOND to plastic or whatever it is? Will RustOleum plastic primer work? Or is that garbage too? Thanks for the help! Dang it!!!! Just realized where i posted this.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
So I'm in the process of painting my passenger side A - Pillar to match the Lotek gauge pod and having a REALLY hard time getting paint to stick to it Mad
I'm already using Dupli color vinyl and fabric paint. Had no problems with the gauge pod. So What now? I have lightly sanded it, Cleaned it with Rubbing alcohol. But the crap WILL NOT stick. Is there a PRIMER That will BOND to plastic or whatever it is? Will RustOleum plastic primer work? Or is that garbage too? Thanks for the help! Dang it!!!! Just realized where i posted this.

Wow, I didn't think that you would of had a problem with using DupiColor on the passenger side A pillar trim!
I was watching a Unique Autosports show on Speed TV and that Remy guy on that show had the same problem with painting a GMC Yukon Denali interior rear quarter panel trim. Same thing, the paint just flaked off and landed on the carpeting!
Very strange, I've never had a problem when using it on interior plastic trim panels!
Did you by chance try and use an actual plastic trim panel paint prep wipe/spray?
Failing that, I personally would try the "RustOleum" plastic primer and see if that works.
The only thing I would hazard to guess is (Please don't get pissed at me here!) the can might not have been shaken enough (Very unlikely I'm sure!) or the can that you have might be "Off" and paint itself old, flat, or just crap!

I feel bad now because I'm the guy who recommended this product to you in the first place!:(
If I were you, I would contact Dupli-Color and ask someone in their tech department. This is a direct quote from their website regarding their "Vinyl & Fabric Spray"

""Restore the color and finish to your car or truck’s vinyl, simulated leather or fabric interior. No need for a primer. It is flexible when it dries and won’t rub off, chip, crack or peel. Great for interior trim, seats, consoles, floor mats, dash panels, fabric seats and carpeting.""

And as you can see, it clearly states that "No need for a primer"!
Well, that as it turns out out is a load of Bull!
The only other thing I could think of is that you might need something along the lines of this stuff here:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...75046P/High+Performance+Adhesion+Promoter.jsp
I'm sure you can find a similar product at a local auto parts supplier in your area.
Or you may need to go to an automotive upholster and ask for some advice or perhaps a professional pre paint prep or???

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I have never had any issues with Dupi-Color products. But then again, I have not tried to paint any interior KJ trim panels as of yet!

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't think that you would of had a problem with using DupiColor on the passenger side A pillar trim!
I was watching a Unique Autosports show on Speed TV and that Remy guy on that show had the same problem with painting a GMC Yukon Denali interior rear quarter panel trim. Same thing, the paint just flaked off and landed on the carpeting!
Very strange, I've never had a problem when using it on interior plastic trim panels!
Did you by chance try and use an actual plastic trim panel paint prep wipe/spray?
Failing that, I personally would try the "RustOleum" plastic primer and see if that works.
The only thing I would hazard to guess is (Please don't get pissed at me here!) the can might not have been shaken enough (Very unlikely I'm sure!) or the can that you have might be "Off" and paint itself old, flat, or just crap!

I feel bad now because I'm the guy who recommended this product to you in the first place!:(
If I were you, I would contact Dupli-Color and ask someone in their tech department. This is a direct quote from their website regarding their "Vinyl & Fabric Spray"

""Restore the color and finish to your car or truck’s vinyl, simulated leather or fabric interior. No need for a primer. It is flexible when it dries and won’t rub off, chip, crack or peel. Great for interior trim, seats, consoles, floor mats, dash panels, fabric seats and carpeting.""

And as you can see, it clearly states that "No need for a primer"!
Well, that as it turns out out is a load of Bull!
The only other thing I could think of is that you might need something along the lines of this stuff here:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...75046P/High+Performance+Adhesion+Promoter.jsp
I'm sure you can find a similar product at a local auto parts supplier in your area.
Or you may need to go to an automotive upholster and ask for some advice or perhaps a professional pre paint prep or???

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I have never had any issues with Dupi-Color products. But then again, I have not tried to paint any interior KJ trim panels as of yet!

Hahahaha No worries man not mad at you! I actually used a automotive primer and then lightly rubbed it with lacquer thinner. Now of course it wanted to rub off, but i only rubbed it enough to get the paint to.... well bond to the plastic Seemed to have worked. Finished it off with Dupli color flat black and i tell you what!!!! You would think it came stock this way. Looks awesome. Thanks for the help

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha No worries man not mad at you! I actually used a automotive primer and then lightly rubbed it with lacquer thinner. Now of course it wanted to rub off, but i only rubbed it enough to get the paint to.... well bond to the plastic Seemed to have worked. Finished it off with Dupli color flat black and i tell you what!!!! You would think it came stock this way. Looks awesome. Thanks for the help

Pictures please...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Post a few pictures if you can. I'd like to see the final result.

Latest posts

Members online