Planning to get 2.4 sport/need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to sell my '04 Rennie because of the government's unacceptable tax policy for large engines. To avoid the high tax rates, I'm thinking of getting a KJ with a smaller engine. And that's the 2.4 Sport.

What do you think about the 2.4 Sport? Especially the owners' opinions based on actual experience are very important for me. Does the smaller engine generate sufficient power on and off road? Is it fast? Does it have any known issues? How is the gas mileage, comfort, overall performance compared to other KJ's?

I really don't have any idea if I'll feel frustrated after the 3.7 Renegade, so any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

kckj

Reaction score
I don't stop in too much anymore but saw this and thought I'd chime in. I have had the 2.4 for about 4 years. will you be disappointed coming from a 3.7. Yes, probably. Im not sure of the type of terrain you have, but we have alot of hills, and i am running through gears all the time. Driving is work sometimes. Also gas milage is not that much better. I consistantly get 20-22. Doesn't matter if im on the highway or city or back roads. winter time is alittle worse 18-20, but i guess that's better than 15. Only engine problem i have had and still do have is that it uses oil. (from what i have read of w/ others this is common with the 2.4) If i had to guess 1 qt every 1000miles. Also has developed a leak. Took it in for warranty work, and it's considered normal oil usage for a vehicle with 50,000miles on it. Can you go off roading, sure can. 4x4 low works just fine w/ plenty of torq. Long story short. it is underpowered. But it can manage. I had a 1984 bronco 2 with less horse power doing the same things. It's more just what the public has gotten used to. Accelerating faster, pulling more etc.
I just look at it as, i have no excuse for getting tickets.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry to learn that I'll be frustrated with the 2.4. I also read other reviews on the internet and people have many complaints about engine issues. Bad mileage and uncomfortable ride is frequently mentioned about this vehicle too.

It's more just what the public has gotten used to. Accelerating faster, pulling more etc. I just look at it as, i have no excuse for getting tickets.

I couldn't understand this, is it about your old Bronco, or the 2.4 Sport? Does the 2.4 accelerate well? Does the manual transmission help? If not, what is so "sport" about this vehicle anyway?? (BTW my 3.7 with auto ****** really ***** when it comes to acceleration.)

Any other 2.4 Sport owners? I really need to know if it's a bad idea to buy one.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you get a CRD?

...oh and he's comparing it to a 1984 Bronco and saying they're similar. YIKES!

They are mostly underpowered at best.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry to learn that I'll be frustrated with the 2.4. I also read other reviews on the internet and people have many complaints about engine issues. Bad mileage and uncomfortable ride is frequently mentioned about this vehicle too.

I could be wrong, but I think the ride would be almost the exact same. Renegade, Sport, Limited...they all have the same springs. Not sure on the 2.4/3.7 - they may have different front springs to compensate for the engine weight difference.

I couldn't understand this, is it about your old Bronco, or the 2.4 Sport? Does the 2.4 accelerate well? Does the manual transmission help? If not, what is so "sport" about this vehicle anyway?? (BTW my 3.7 with auto ****** really ***** when it comes to acceleration.)

Any other 2.4 Sport owners? I really need to know if it's a bad idea to buy one.

can you get a CRD?

...oh and he's comparing it to a 1984 Bronco and saying they're similar. YIKES!

They are mostly underpowered at best.

His point is that we've gotten used to power and it's not really needed. A base V6 Camaro now is almost at the power level of a Corvette 10 years ago. Yes, he's perfectly justified in comparing the KJ with a 1984 Bronco II (note the II - it's based on the Ranger platform, not the F-series) as it's a similar sized SUV and his point is he got around just fine in it with 2 less HP.

That being said, I, personally, would probably go insane driving a 2.4L KJ. I think that's a lot of weight for a 4 ******. It's doable, but I don't think it'd be pleasant. Hell, the KJ with the 3.7L is slow enough to me off the line. Can't get the thing moving!

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you get a CRD?

...They are mostly underpowered at best.

Most CRD's here have more than 150-200.000 km on them. I'm not sure about taking the risk of a worn out diesel engine. Diesel failure costs incredibly high to repair around here.

Noone says anything positive about the 2.4. So it seems we're seperating our ways with Jeep:( Cause I can't find an alternative with a smaller engine that I can afford..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I say test drive one before you put off the Jeep entirely. It sounds like you really like the Liberty, but hate the taxes.

I didn't think the 2.4L was THAT bad. A 3.7L is definitely faster, but I think I could live with it.... barely.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say test drive one before you put off the Jeep entirely. It sounds like you really like the Liberty, but hate the taxes.

I didn't think the 2.4L was THAT bad. A 3.7L is definitely faster, but I think I could live with it.... barely.

now that's a good answer. I totally agree.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned many different trucks over the years, Broncos (3), Lada Niva, Suzuki Grand Vitara, and I can tell you that it is a stange twist that SUV's with smaller engines are still almost as bad as their V8 engined brothers. Even today Fords Ecoboost engine is not performing up to the hype they have put out, the Chyrsler Pentastar in the Dodge Durango is a real dog but works well in the Dodge Charger and the jeep minivan the Grand Pacifica . Diesel would be the best allround choice but Car Companies in the States are afraid to use them for fear that they will canalbilize their bigger truck sales. Somebody who will buy a Ram with a smaller displacement diesel will try to use it as if they had a Cummins 6.7 and car companies know this. Stick with the bigger engine, it will be pay for itself in the long run, if higher fuel costs are the concern in Europe, most of that cost is tax, that is something the citizens can try to do something about. Good Luck

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, definitely that's the case. Paying huge taxes just for having a big engine vehicle and getting nothing back in return is extremely annoying. No need to mention the tax on the gas prices (%200) in addition. I'd love to test drive a 2.4, if I can find one around. 2.4 sport is a rare species here, there are only about 70 of them in the whole country.

Stick with the bigger engine, it will be pay for itself in the long run, if higher fuel costs are the concern in Europe, most of that cost is tax, that is something the citizens can try to do something about. Good Luck

Here we don't only pay %200 tax for gas, but also serious amounts just for owning a vehicle.:favorites68: Citizens are totally hopeless, a desperate flock of sheep.

Sometimes I also think of getting a Grand Cherokee 2.7 or 3.1 diesel. But I feel reluctant about a diesel engine with so much km on it.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my 2cents
A 4 ****** is under powered thats just the way it is know that when you buy it.
Now saying that you still can have fun with it. I had a 4 ****** in a Wrangler with 32s on it gearing was everything and it had a stick shift. Boy did my girls and I have fun with that Jeep.
So IMHO if you get a 4 ****** get it with a stick not and auto trans add a locker or 2 and gear it proper to the tire size and know that it will be dog on the eway and not something you would take cross country less your going to take you time and drive it in its sweet spot no matter what speed that is. Also it can be a little cheaper to work on 4 plugs not 6 that type of thing.
Just know you are only buying a 4 ****** and that will reflect your driving style.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my 2cents
A 4 ****** is under powered thats just the way it is know that when you buy it.
Now saying that you still can have fun with it. I had a 4 ****** in a Wrangler with 32s on it gearing was everything and it had a stick shift. Boy did my girls and I have fun with that Jeep.
So IMHO if you get a 4 ****** get it with a stick not and auto trans add a locker or 2 and gear it proper to the tire size and know that it will be dog on the eway and not something you would take cross country less your going to take you time and drive it in its sweet spot no matter what speed that is. Also it can be a little cheaper to work on 4 plugs not 6 that type of thing.
Just know you are only buying a 4 ****** and that will reflect your driving style.

I agree, I already like the manual ****** more than the auto. Unlike the auto, I can use the power of the engine better and force it to the limits with the stick.

BTW, some people recommended installing a 3rd party TURBO on the 4 ******:) What do you think? Is it worth trying?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.