Pinion seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got back from the dealer and he tells me my pinion seal is leaking. I say how bad? He says he can't tell without pulling the skids. He also says 29 bucks for the part and 100-150 in labor to replace the seal.

Can anyone tell me where this is and what it does and how fast I should be getting it fixed?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AtlanticLiberty said:
So I just got back from the dealer and he tells me my pinion seal is leaking. I say how bad? He says he can't tell without pulling the skids. He also says 29 bucks for the part and 100-150 in labor to replace the seal.

Can anyone tell me where this is and what it does and how fast I should be getting it fixed?

I'd assuming it's the front diff since you wouldn't need to pull a skid to see the rear. A general rule with leaking seals is if you don't see alot spots on the ground it is fine. All seals will start to leak after a while, but usually it takes quite a while if ever before they leak so bad they become a problem.

IMHO it just sounds like he was trying to drum up a little business. Quick easy repair for them. You could go crawl under just about any vehicle more than a few years old and find a leaking seal or two. It you are still worried I take it to a private mechanic and have him replace it. Labor would probably be less. Just FYI, both my pinion seals and the output seal on my t-case have been leaking for quite a while and I've never had a problem.

I'd just leave it alone. It probably will be fine for the life of the vehicle and not get any worse. Only if you notice some large spots on the floor, then I'd look into it.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an 04' Sport and I noticed recently that my rear diff has oil stains on either side.....never considered it a problem, since my old 90' YJ did the same thing

Latest posts

Members online