pinion leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wb2kki

Reaction score
Have an 07 Jeep liberty 4WD 87,000 miles w /3.7 V6.

Got a pinion seal leak and my mechanic has replaced the seal three times. These guy's are usually pretty good. Had them check the vent and pinion yoke and looseness in the pinion and drive shaft and all is well. Does not leak standing still only when driving.

If this third seal does not work and I will know soon just cleaned everything off checked the vent myself.

Is there anything special about the seal. Does it need to a factory Mopar part. OR do I have to live with this. Being the third seal and not doing anything else I suspect it will leak again.
Thanks!

Mike

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If fixed properly with superior parts, it shouldn't leak. I would say yes to using Mopar parts. My kj had the seal replaced 50,000+ miles ago and no problem since. The seal was replaced at the dealership, using OEM parts.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the seals in my axle. I used Napa seals for the shafts but I got a mopar seal for the pinion. Didn't want to take a chance with the pinion seal.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a groove worn into the pinion yoke causing the leak, countless new seals aren't going to help, no matter the brand. If that's what's going on, then look into getting a Speedi-Sleeve #99168 to repair the yoke.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a groove worn into the pinion yoke causing the leak, countless new seals aren't going to help, no matter the brand. If that's what's going on, then look into getting a Speedi-Sleeve #99168 to repair the yoke.

X2..........

Most likely cause and if synthetic gear is being used,known cause of leaks in diffs.

wb2kki

Reaction score
I am assuming they checked for groves in the pinion. Yes I know what assume means :).
Took it to work today will check tomorrow if still leaking. My have synth in it. Thanks for all the replies.
Mike

wb2kki

Reaction score
Checked it today did 100 miles yesterday and no drip SO maybe fixed. I will keep an eye on it and if I have a useful update I will post. Many thanks for the suggestions! Maybe third time is a charm???? :)

Mike