Philips CrystalVision Ultra: My new headlight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just installed these and drove around for a bit.

Here's the story. One of my SilverStars blew. What else is new, right? :p Anyway, they lasted a year. Worth the money, IMO for the amount of light that was thrown out on the road. I decided to stop by Meijer once I found out that I had a headlight out. One of the most embarrassing things to me is to have lights on a vehicle that don't work. It's also dangerous, might get you rearended or may cause you to hit someone else. They don't carry Sylvania products, but there was plenty of Philips stuff on the rack. I started reading boxes and these seemed to be the equivalent of the SilverStar. I really liked my SilverStars. I was hesitant to purchase this bulb but it's either this or a ticket or worse... doubled insurance and hurting someone.

Installation of a headlight is simple. On the left side, move the fusebox (in front of the battery) by releasing it from the 3 clamps that hold it down. I just lifted it on top of the battery. Turn the gray thingy to release the bulb from the headlight. Swap out the light. Don't touch the glass, it won't last very long. Halogen headlights don't like skin oils. The Passenger side was more difficult. In order to get to the headlight, I had to remove the airbox. That's always fun. However when you do that, there's enough room to work with.

As far as the headlight in general, the light is just a bit more whiter than the SilverStars. If you compare the two, you'll notice the difference, but if not, or don't pay much attention to detail, you'll never figure it out. The light that it emits seems to reach out just a little bit farther than the SilverStars. The box said that the bulb temperature is 4000K, the "Closest to HID" or something like that.

They seem to work for me. One of these days I'll get those stock fog light bulbs out of there. In total I have 6 lights in the front. Main headlights, fog lamps (stock) and 2 driving lamps. The driving lamps assist the fog and headlights and also offer lighting on the side of the Jeep as well, and also work well when using highbeams as the Jeep turns off the fog lights when the highbeams are on.

As far as highbeams, I think the SilverStars were more effective but I only had them on for less than a minute. I'd have to use them on the highway for a better opinion.

Will I buy them again? Heck for $23.99 and they last as long as the SilverStars, heck yes.

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/automotive/products/crystalvision.php

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I may look into these. I have one regular bulb and one Silverstar in mine right now so I notice a difference side to side. Was that price for a pair? If so that would be about 60% of the cost of a pair of Silverstars.

Thanks for the heads-up Marlon!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had my silverstars around 2 years now. They are still going strong!

Got some 65watt bulbs in the foglights also.. Its amazing how much better my headlights are than cars around me! With the hellas its alittle insane. :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Ive had my silverstars around 2 years now. They are still going strong!

Got some 65watt bulbs in the foglights also.. Its amazing how much better my headlights are than cars around me! With the hellas its alittle insane. :)

You don't drive a lot so that explains that. :p

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my silverstars for almost 6 years. I had them in my Prix, and now I've moved them on to the Jeep. The Silverstar H3's only lasted me a few months apiece in the Prix, so I gave up on those.

Thanks Marlon, I want to check these out! My fogs are the standard OEM bulbs and look like crap with the silverstar headlights. I didn't want to drop a ton on Silverstar replacements. This seems like a good option.

Do you have any pics of your driving lights or how you mounted them? Your avatar looks just like what I want to do with mine. I bought a set (from meijer!) that I want to put between the tow hook and the outside of the opening. I hacked up some brackets but it just seems like a lot of work - I tried using the screws that came with them to mount to the metal bumper support, but they won't go in. I either need some self-tapping, or tap the hole and use a small bolt (m6?).

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just waiting for stockers to go.. I cannot just replace the headlamps with whiter ones have ugly yellowish fog lamps there.. Then I have to replace them all.. So I hope they don't go soon. Everything is a reason to change something in the jeep..

I was planning to get set of driving lights to mount to where hooks should go into those little rectangle areas, and a set of four for the roof basket. I just don't have time and patience to do the wiring...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a few miles and hours (YES, HOURS) of NIGHT driving on them now and I love them!

Marlon.....I'm glad you can see better. Wouldn't want you to make a wrong turn and end up in NY and rear end me........:D

Dave

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Marlon, you still liking the CrystalVision Ultra's?

I just had a SS Ultra go out on me and I need to get something tomorrow, um it looks like that would be today...

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap.

I went to Autozone, Advance, and Pep Boys and none of them had anything other than Sylvania producs.

I scheduled Pep Boys for the last stop because I knew they were closing and were offering discounts. I ended up getting the last pair of Silverstar Ultra's (9007) and Halogen fog's (9145) for around $50.00.

I replaced them all and now I have a spare head lamp and 2 fog's...

I was hoping to do a comparison betwixt the Sylvania and Phillips but alas, after that, I bought a Daiquiri and went home...

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm, you paid $50? Are you nuts?! They're on sale for $25 a pair at Pep Boys. Who would pay 50 bucks for light bulbs.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm, you paid $50? Are you nuts?! They're on sale for $25 a pair at Pep Boys. Who would pay 50 bucks for light bulbs.

Apparently you didn't read what I posted.

I WAS AT PEP BOYS, AND yes I am nuts. Nuts to go out when everyone is Christmas shopping but I needed a lamp for my Jeep or otherwise I have to put the stockers back in and that is like plan "Z".

What do you have up front, candles?

I make good money and I drive a lot. I went to three different auto part places and at the last one I drew the proverbial line in the sand; it was cheaper than what was at the first place so I said to hell with it. I needed another lamp because I may have to go out tonight and I am not going anywhere with the stockers unless I am the last man on earth, hence plan Z.

Last edited:

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DID YOU READ WHAT I POSTED? I am well aware you bought them at Pep Boys, hence my comment pointing out they should not have cost you so much, well, $50 up fornt maybe, but had you planned on a net cost of $25 a pair you would have said so. They are on sale at Pep Boys and you said you knew they had discounts, yet paid $50, albeit with a pair of fogs which cost next to nothing. So, you paid too much because you overlooked that they are on rebate/sale, making them $25 a pair. I think it's a $20 rebate. So fill out the rebate and get your $20. And another thing, Pep Boys has a monthly coupon for $10 off $50, if you knew you were going, it would have knocked that pair of bulbs down to $15 after rebate.

edit: Tried to attach the coupon but what the heck kind of upload size limit is 19.5kb on a PDF?! I suggest you go back there, buy it all again with the coupon, and return all the new stuff on your old receipt, if you are near there. Save you $10.

edit2: Let's try this way:
You must be registered for see images

edit3: SCREW IT! Go sign up and get the coupon on their site at http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials/coupons/retail_special/

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to do a comparison betwixt the Sylvania and Phillips but alas, after that, I bought a Daiquiri and went home...

I did a comparison between the Silverstar's and the stock bulbs on the JK....

Stock
You must be registered for see images attach

Silverstar

Stock

Silverstar

Not a HUGE difference, but you can really tell when you drive a different vehicle how much brighter they are.

Members online