PCV Rattling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Liberty Sport
45rfe trans, auto
134k miles

I will be replacing the PCV today but just for knowledge's sake... It has this odd rattle all of the sudden. I know a good way to test it is if you shake it and it rattled its good but normally when my jeep is running I don't hear this extremely fast rattling coming from it.

Ill include a video here but listen closely it's hard to hear over the engine.

PCV Rattle? - YouTube

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Liberty Sport
45rfe trans, auto
134k miles

I will be replacing the PCV today but just for knowledge's sake... It has this odd rattle all of the sudden. I know a good way to test it is if you shake it and it rattled its good but normally when my jeep is running I don't hear this extremely fast rattling coming from it.

Ill include a video here but listen closely it's hard to hear over the engine.

PCV Rattle? - YouTube

Hmmm. I'm not sure that rattle is coming from the PCV - too metallic.

Sure it's not from the belt tensioner or maybe the AC clutch?

Bob

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the tensioner and I thought it was the A/C before when it was the tensioner. So tensioner was replaced and no a/c issues. I replaced the PCV and no more rattle. If it replicates I'm not sure where I would turn. I believe that Inside the PCV is a metallic insert or the "disc" for the check valve. Not that metal on plastic makes a metallic noise but more so that plastic on plastic. Any other ideas?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the tensioner and I thought it was the A/C before when it was the tensioner. So tensioner was replaced and no a/c issues. I replaced the PCV and no more rattle. If it replicates I'm not sure where I would turn. I believe that Inside the PCV is a metallic insert or the "disc" for the check valve. Not that metal on plastic makes a metallic noise but more so that plastic on plastic. Any other ideas?

Well, if the sound went away then ya fixed it - my philosophy is why chase the problem anymore? Time to run the Jeep!

Bob

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to try to gain a little insight/knowledge I suppose. Just a personal thing.

-J

Latest posts

Members online