Passenger side downstream O2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BUFlash

Reaction score
Hey gang. First time posting. I've lurked quietly on this forum for a few years and found lots of useful information, but for the first time I'm stumped. My wife has a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited and I'm wondering if anyone out there in Jeep land has replaced a passenger side downstream O2 sensor (Bank 2 Sensor 2) on this particular vehicle. Not sure if it is the same with all years, but this sensor is the hardest of all of them to get to. It points sort of up towards the transmission and there is very little clearance from any angle. You definitely can't get any sort of socket on it and actually manage to turn it. I could barely get my adjustable crescent wrench on it but then there was no room for me to get my hands in there to turn it. Wondering if anyone has any better tools to suggest or better ideas. I can't imagine that you would have to drop the exhaust to get to it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just used a wrench on mine
PB blasted it a few times before, letting it heat up/ cool off
and then came right out
5 minute job

BUFlash

Reaction score
Just used a wrench on mine
PB blasted it a few times before, letting it heat up/ cool off
and then came right out
5 minute job

Thanks for the quick response but man am I puzzled. Are you referring to the passenger side downstream? The reason I ask is because my driver's side sensor seems like it would be a piece of cake to remove, but this passenger side one is tucked way up in there. What sort of wrench did you use? Just a 7/8" or 22mm open end wrench? Was it a particularly long handle?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you post this...I just got a P0158 so I might have to work up in there. For now I cleaned some dirt that was around the sensor from a wheeling trip in the Jersey Pine Barrens and pulled the battery for a few minutes, then put it back together with a new engine air filter for kicks. But if I do have to replace, I would be very interested to know how people work up there!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response but man am I puzzled. Are you referring to the passenger side downstream? The reason I ask is because my driver's side sensor seems like it would be a piece of cake to remove, but this passenger side one is tucked way up in there. What sort of wrench did you use? Just a 7/8" or 22mm open end wrench? Was it a particularly long handle?

open end part of the way, boxed part of the way, yes its tight but doable

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also get an 02 socket that has a slot cut out of it.

Dave

BUFlash

Reaction score
Funny you post this...I just got a P0158 so I might have to work up in there. For now I cleaned some dirt that was around the sensor from a wheeling trip in the Jersey Pine Barrens and pulled the battery for a few minutes, then put it back together with a new engine air filter for kicks. But if I do have to replace, I would be very interested to know how people work up there!

Me too! haha. I'll let you know how I make out.

open end part of the way, boxed part of the way, yes its tight but doable

Well at least this gives me confidence that it CAN be done.

You can also get an 02 socket that has a slot cut out of it.

Dave
There is absolutely no way to work in the space provided with a socket. The tip of the sensor practically touches the transmission preventing one of those special sockets from even being slipped on. I tried one of the offset O2 sockets and I could get it on in only one orientation and then the offset lobe was right up against the transmission so there was no way it would turn, plus no way to attach a breaker bar or ratchet without an extension which I though was just a recipe for something breaking.

I guess I'm going to take tommudd's advice and pick up a 22mm combination wrench on my way home from work today and give that a whirl. My adjustable crescent seemed to be a little too bulky for the space and the handle wasn't long enough for me to really pull on it.

For the life of me I don't know why Jeep designed it this way. Perhaps to keep it from getting busted off when offroading, but there must have been a better option. At this point I really wish it was my driver's side that went because that thing was smiling at me and laughing while I was wrestling with the passenger one!

BUFlash

Reaction score
Well just an update for those interested. I finally got that sucker out! Much thanks to tommudd for keeping me from over thinking it! Used a 22mm open end (long) wrench. The wrench only fits in one way with the handle pointed towards the front of the vehicle. You can only swing it a tiny little bit. You have to make sure the wrench is seated tightly on the O2 sensor to prevent rounding it off.

As others have mentioned, soak the base of the sensor in PB blaster or Liquid Wrench. Also starting the Jeep and then letting it cool to where you won't burn yourself on the cat definitely helps.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Or this.............

Makes short work of those hard to reach O2's.

Oh hope you did not replace it with a bosch O2 sensor,bad idea in a Chrysler.Use only NTK(NGK) or Denso O2 sensors.

BUFlash

Reaction score
Oh hope you did not replace it with a bosch O2 sensor,bad idea in a Chrysler.Use only NTK(NGK) or Denso O2 sensors.

Nope, used an NTK after reading lots of advice on this board. Pays to do some research I suppose! I like that second tool you show. Earlier today I was thinking "geeze they should make something like a basin wrench" and there it is. What is that puppy called?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, used an NTK after reading lots of advice on this board. Pays to do some research I suppose! I like that second tool you show. Earlier today I was thinking "geeze they should make something like a basin wrench" and there it is. What is that puppy called?
That's great to hear that some actually heed advice given,thank you.

Oh and that 2nd O2 sensor wrench..................

Save on OTC Tools - 6500 at ToolTopia.com

mschneid

Reaction score

I used this socket from Advance Auto (I had to buy it then return it, that's their policy). I used it in conjunction with a socket to wrench adapter and a 9/16" wrench doubled with a 22mm and it worked. I also used WD40 rust penetrating fluid and a torch to heat the pipe just under the O2 sensor. Wasn't easy and I thought of giving up but I got it.

850Flygirl40

Reaction score
How did you get the the harness on bank2sensor2. I don't have any issues with getting the sensor out but can't get to the harness