Passenger Airbag Cover Tear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ignacio Diaz

Reaction score
So I was taking a friend to his house after a party and he was a little drunk. He's a bit hyper, we were listening to music and he punched the passenger airbag cover (I don't know why either). Naturally, it tears right below where it says SRS AIRBAG, through the design line. I wanted to know if there was a way to replace the cover without replacing the airbag. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images

For those wondering he's paying for the repair.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, What year is your Jeep Liberty?
Is it possible you could post a photo of the actual damage to your air bag cover please...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That photo is tiny. I will just take your word for it, that it is cracked horizontally.
The horizontal crack could be a safety issue & effect how the cover separates away the air bag, therefore a replacement will definitely be necessary.
RE: Trustworthy- Each manufacturer (jeep) has very specific requirement as to the product # or type of air bag that should be installed into the Liberty.
Would I use an after market ..I do not think so.
I would recommend consulting with a dealer, before making any decisions.
Installation is certainly NOT a do it yourself project, and should only be serviced by a competent technician only!

Please take a moment to also enter you Vin number to check for any outstanding recalls that could also concern the air bag system.
Link: https://www.mopar.com/en-ca/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html