Parts for CRD in other Jeeps etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brent J

Reaction score
Two questions, actually 3,

I'm looking at a 2006 CRD Liberty. The seller says they are rare. Red flag ... expensive parts. Are there other jeep vehicles with this engine that would fit? Are parts hard to find?

I have a 2002 Liberty gas (dead). Will body parts interchange with the CRD?
Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
all 02 to 04 are the same body wise
with 05 to 07 being the same
some parts will interchange but others , no some different trim etc
plus then you get into the regular hoods and 05 Renegades were flat hoods
Yes CRD parts are getting harder to find and of course work on, finding parts getting harder as time passes
Unless you are very well versed in diesels you may want to look at gassers

Even when brand new a lot of dealerships were dumfounded when it came to CRDs

GottaCRDKJ

Reaction score

I'm looking at a 2006 CRD Liberty. The seller says they are rare. Red flag ... expensive parts. Are there other jeep vehicles with this engine that would fit? Are parts hard to find?

Thanks.
I am an '06 CRD owner. I cherry picked parts and tools from ebay and amazon as parts have been a little scarce, mostly I think because of the supply chain crap. Parts are still out there, I got new off the shelf egr cooler hoses from a dealer in texas. Found www.sasquatchparts.com has may engine parts available too. There are may parts available for these things. Lifting is a fun task but is doable, I'm rolling on 33's with mine and its happy with no gear change.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am an '06 CRD owner. I cherry picked parts and tools from ebay and amazon as parts have been a little scarce, mostly I think because of the supply chain crap. Parts are still out there, I got new off the shelf egr cooler hoses from a dealer in texas. Found www.sasquatchparts.com has may engine parts available too. There are may parts available for these things. Lifting is a fun task but is doable, I'm rolling on 33's with mine and its happy with no gear change.
LOL
and I have done CRD lifts and no more of a hassle than a gasser really which are easy
Gear change helps a lot
two of the CRDs I have done went to 4.10s and improved mileage, pulling power and overall drivability

beelatch

Reaction score

Thanks.
Hey Brent, I did basically the same thing you are considering about 10 years ago. Except I used a 2005 donor, it was a rollover. The only undamaged body part was the tail gate. As it happened, the only damaged part of the dead 2002 gasser (that 3.7 V6 is junk, so is the 4.7 V8 sibling that was in my Dakota), so it was a perfect candidate. We swapped everything, and I mean EVERYTHING from the 05 CRD into the 02 rolling chassis. The 02 was 2WD, the CRD was 4WD. When the 05 CRD was hauled off it was just a carcass, nothing left but the metal chassis/body and glass. Everything swapped in nicely, except the transmission cross members between 02 and 05 are different, one is straight and one bent, sort of like a "K". We had to cut the mounts in half and weld the top half of the CRD mount (attached to the ******) to the bottom half of the 02 mount (attached to the crossmember) to make it work. That was the most difficult part of the swap. Also the sunvisor mounts are different between the year models so we kept the 02 model ones, but the headliners were different so we had to fuss with that, can't remember exactly what we did - it was a decade ago. And the windshield washer reservoir is different so we kept it also but had to cut the electrical connector off the old harness and soldered it into the CRD harness because the connectors were different. It took about four months of weekends evenings to get it finished and fortunately I had a lift, ****** jacks, tools etc. because I was good friends with my mechanic. This became my wife's (at the time) car and it was perhaps the only 2002 Jeep Liberty CRD in the USA. Two years later my ex-wife ran it completely dry of coolant and seized it. She wanted me to rebuild it. I said no way, that was a one and done. It is a lot of work, but it can be done and is relatively straight forward as far as swaps go. Now I have an 05 CRD 4X4.

Attachments

• liberty1.jpeg
    liberty1.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 10
  • liberty2.jpeg
    liberty2.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 10
  • liberty3.jpeg
    liberty3.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 8
  • liberty4.jpeg
    liberty4.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 8

beelatch

Reaction score
I just noticed the ****** in my post. I used the abbreviation for transmission, tr**ny, which I guess the forum filter took offense to. LOL.

RockinRam96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t comment on any of the swap details, but as a relatively new Jeep Liberty owner with a CRD, I was surprised at the availability of parts. I really haven’t bought any CRD specific parts but I was able to buy all of the Moog front end parts from Advanced Auto Parts without an issue. I think I waited one day on a brake line or something like that.

Now, I did wait 3 months for the lift kit parts but that’s a different story.

My CRD is sitting on 265/70R16s and it most definitely needs a regear. I just haven’t found the ambition to go to the junk yard, cut out a carrier and a complete axle to do the swap to 4.10. I am anxious to do it because I think I will love it, and will want to drive my Liberty around even more!

The Squid

Reaction score

Thanks.
I had an 05 just sold to the neighbors w/410k on the clock. I got most of my parts from ID Parts. Engines were/are used world wide. Only thing not stock was the brake rotors and a Green Tune. I have the timing belt replacement tools that I no longer need. New owner did not want them. Used 4 times. If anyone is interested.

Good luck, if it’s been maintained, it will last forever.

The Squid

Reaction score
I had an 05 just sold to the neighbors w/410k on the clock. I got most of my parts from ID Parts. Engines were/are used world wide. Only thing not stock was the brake rotors and a Green Tune. I have the timing belt replacement tools that I no longer need. New owner did not want them. Used 4 times. If anyone is interested.

Good luck, if it’s been maintained, it will last forever.
Oh, I averaged 26mpg. One trip thru eastern WA hit 36. Long trips averaged 32. Drove it approx 46k a year, 186 mile round trip commute.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
Thanks what kind of mileage do you typically get?
Hello, Brent:

The mileage you get varies depending upon a lot of factors. Are you going to perform all of the PROPER upgrades to this engine? Are you getting a lift done? All said, a CRD engine will net you better fuel economy than the gasser if the proper upgrades are done and all other factors between the two vehicles are the same.

The following are the upgrades I recommend for ALL CRD engines. There is more you can do to get substantially more power, but these upgrades are not going to hurt your engine like some of the poorly thought-out upgrades by some of the online "experts". The following information is an abridged version of the full article I wrote almost 2 years ago. If you want the full article that explains in detail WHY these upgrades are necessary, please e-mail me at [email protected].

"HERE ARE MY TOP 6 CRD ENGINE UPGRADES FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN MARKET... THIS IS OUTSIDE OF ANY SPECIFIC ISSUES YOU HAVE WITH YOUR OWN ENGINE, AND APPLIES TO ALL CRD ENGINES GENERALLY....

I have recently been getting a lot of questions from CRD owners regarding proper upgrades to the CRD engine. As a Jeep Liberty CRD owner you should know that this vehicle is saddled with a lot of problems; 50% of which are pollution control related. 30% of the problems are due to owners using cheap and short-sighted “upgrades” to fix the pollution control problems and other CRD engine problems, along with unwise operation and driving practices. The final 20% are caused by Daimler Chrysler's penny-pinching and planned obsolescence for this vehicle. To counter a lot of these problems, the following are my 6 recommended upgrades for the CRD engine.

Be sure to consider quality choices for each of the upgrades as there are alternatives that can cause problems down the road. The Liberty CRD responds well to the use of quality parts and upgrades; cheap versions of upgrades and cutting corners are bad ideas with this vehicle. Please consider all of these upgrades if you are intending to keep your vehicle a long time. Perhaps you are a second, third or 4th owner of your CRD; if this is the case some of these items may already be installed on your CRD...

1) An engine and transmission tune through reprogramming the engine and transmission computers. The best tunes cut out the pollution control system through the computer and re-tune the engine for maximum efficiency. I personally like Green Diesel Engineering tunes the best.

2) A hotter engine thermostat assembly, (really, the only choice is a HDS Model 001 thermostat assembly).

3) An in-tank fuel lift pump, (Airtex E7181M or equivalent). Liberty CRD vehicles in North America never got an in-tank lift pump; I am unsure if the Cherokee CRD vehicles in all other markets around the world have factory in-tank lift pumps.

4) A Webasto TSL17, (also known as a Thermo Top C), engine coolant heater. Get the 923369 universal installation kit and install it at the same time as you install the fuel lift pump because you have to drop the fuel tank for both installations. Follow up with the purchase of the upgrade battery tray from Sasquatch Parts that allows you to install the Webasto heater underneath.

5) A Provent 200 kit from Sasquatch Parts, including their special bracket and custom hoses... not cheap, but VERY nice!

6) Physically cut off the ability of the EGR system to operate. This does not mean remove the EGR valve completely; simply remove the tube running from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve and install a 1-way check valve in the EGR valve to allow it to continue to be used as a turbo-blow-off valve."

FYI, Brent: There is a fellow in Boise who has a substantial collection of Liberty CRD vehicles and parts. You are not far away from this fellow, so sourcing hard-to-get parts should not be so difficult for you. I am trying to check with him to see if he still has his inventory.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Export CRDs ie. "Cherokees" do not have lift pumps in the fuels tanks....no pump at all other than the CP3 pump up front. The wiring harness I believe is mostly in place!

Some owners do fit them but I have never had a problem with my 2002 2.5 L Export CRD.

No EGR on the 2002/2003 Export models...came out on 2004 models I think....definitely fitted from 2005 onwards!

Early export models have a simple Glow plug system....11 volts is supplied directly to the 11 volt glow plugs via two relays....drops 1 volt over the connections hence the 11 volt plugs. I have never had issues with the glow plugs but it is pretty warm here....I once pulled the glow plug relays and started the Jeep without any glow plugs operating....started roughly with lots of smoke but still started in Winter!;)

Nice tips supplied for the USA based CRDs!

Last edited:

GottaCRDKJ

Reaction score
Hello, Brent:

The mileage you get varies depending upon a lot of factors. Are you going to perform all of the PROPER upgrades to this engine? Are you getting a lift done? All said, a CRD engine will net you better fuel economy than the gasser if the proper upgrades are done and all other factors between the two vehicles are the same.

The following are the upgrades I recommend for ALL CRD engines. There is more you can do to get substantially more power, but these upgrades are not going to hurt your engine like some of the poorly thought-out upgrades by some of the online "experts". The following information is an abridged version of the full article I wrote almost 2 years ago. If you want the full article that explains in detail WHY these upgrades are necessary, please e-mail me at [email protected].

"HERE ARE MY TOP 6 CRD ENGINE UPGRADES FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN MARKET... THIS IS OUTSIDE OF ANY SPECIFIC ISSUES YOU HAVE WITH YOUR OWN ENGINE, AND APPLIES TO ALL CRD ENGINES GENERALLY....

I have recently been getting a lot of questions from CRD owners regarding proper upgrades to the CRD engine. As a Jeep Liberty CRD owner you should know that this vehicle is saddled with a lot of problems; 50% of which are pollution control related. 30% of the problems are due to owners using cheap and short-sighted “upgrades” to fix the pollution control problems and other CRD engine problems, along with unwise operation and driving practices. The final 20% are caused by Daimler Chrysler's penny-pinching and planned obsolescence for this vehicle. To counter a lot of these problems, the following are my 6 recommended upgrades for the CRD engine.

Be sure to consider quality choices for each of the upgrades as there are alternatives that can cause problems down the road. The Liberty CRD responds well to the use of quality parts and upgrades; cheap versions of upgrades and cutting corners are bad ideas with this vehicle. Please consider all of these upgrades if you are intending to keep your vehicle a long time. Perhaps you are a second, third or 4th owner of your CRD; if this is the case some of these items may already be installed on your CRD...

1) An engine and transmission tune through reprogramming the engine and transmission computers. The best tunes cut out the pollution control system through the computer and re-tune the engine for maximum efficiency. I personally like Green Diesel Engineering tunes the best.

2) A hotter engine thermostat assembly, (really, the only choice is a HDS Model 001 thermostat assembly).

3) An in-tank fuel lift pump, (Airtex E7181M or equivalent). Liberty CRD vehicles in North America never got an in-tank lift pump; I am unsure if the Cherokee CRD vehicles in all other markets around the world have factory in-tank lift pumps.

4) A Webasto TSL17, (also known as a Thermo Top C), engine coolant heater. Get the 923369 universal installation kit and install it at the same time as you install the fuel lift pump because you have to drop the fuel tank for both installations. Follow up with the purchase of the upgrade battery tray from Sasquatch Parts that allows you to install the Webasto heater underneath.

5) A Provent 200 kit from Sasquatch Parts, including their special bracket and custom hoses... not cheap, but VERY nice!

6) Physically cut off the ability of the EGR system to operate. This does not mean remove the EGR valve completely; simply remove the tube running from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve and install a 1-way check valve in the EGR valve to allow it to continue to be used as a turbo-blow-off valve."

FYI, Brent: There is a fellow in Boise who has a substantial collection of Liberty CRD vehicles and parts. You are not far away from this fellow, so sourcing hard-to-get parts should not be so difficult for you. I am trying to check with him to see if he still has his inventory.
Where are you getting the GDE tunes? The company no longer offers them for sale.

The Squid

Reaction score
Whew!

I was going to bite this, but i don't even have a crd!

Just another excuse to buy a tool.
I get that, but I don’t need them, but they would make a good conversation piece when hanging in the garage w/your buds…..

Latest posts

Members online