Partial and full 4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chitownjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am old school when it comes to 4wd you had 4 high and 4 low and 2 wheel. Now in my 2005 liberty I lift up the 4 wheel drive lever and engage 4 high but it says partial which from what I read should only be used on dry pavement. What the heck do I use in the snow and what exactly is partial 4wd.

Sorry if this is a newb question but I don't want to burn up anything

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am old school when it comes to 4wd you had 4 high and 4 low and 2 wheel. Now in my 2005 liberty I lift up the 4 wheel drive lever and engage 4 high but it says partial which from what I read should only be used on dry pavement. What the heck do I use in the snow and what exactly is partial 4wd.

Sorry if this is a newb question but I don't want to burn up anything

Yep, kinda confusing :blah:

It sounds like you have the CommandTrac part time transfer case - so you're not able to use 4WD on high-traction surfaces, including wet roads. But you can use Part Time 4WD in the snow - so since you can't use it on dry pavement you can only use 4WD 'part of the time.' A Full Time transfer case can be used in 4WD on all road surfaces all of the time - hence 'full time.'

Hope this helps :waytogo:

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the CommandTrac case. In part time, the case fully locks the front and rear tires together as one. If you were fine with your old school ones, you're fine here because it's the exact same thing only by a different name...Part time = 4 high.
The optional SelecTrac case has an additional soccer mom "full time" all wheel drive mode which has a viscous coupler (works like a differential). With those, you still want to put the case in part time when in the snow (owners manual even says so) because the diff in the case can allow the tires to slip more when in full time mode.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The optional SelecTrac case has an additional soccer mom "full time" all wheel drive mode which has a viscous coupler (works like a differential)...

So because I have a 242 T-case I'm now a soccer mom...??? :happy175: :happy175: :happy175:

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So because I have a 242 T-case I'm now a soccer mom...??? :happy175: :happy175: :happy175:

Bob

I dunno, maybe. I don't judge. lol
"All wheel drive" = 4 wheel drive for dummies. It requires little to no thought on how to use the system. I don't consider it a 4x4 enthusiasts mode. That's not to say that all of those who have or use AWD are dummies....as far as I know anyway! :happy175:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"All wheel drive" = 4 wheel drive for dummies. It requires little to no thought on how to use the system. I don't consider it a 4x4 enthusiasts mode. That's not to say that all of those who have or use AWD are dummies....as far as I know anyway! :happy175:

I don't consider myself a dummy - just 'special.'

:ROFLJest: :gr_grin: :party52:

Bob

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have the 242 as well, but I can't really disagree with this. The Full Time option really is 4wd for dummies, and it's not as good as the part-time option for off road due to the clutches allowing slippage.

That said, when I drive up to Michigan for the winter, I'll probably get some use of the Full Time option. Fire and forget is kinda nice for intermittent slippery snow stuff.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am "special" too. I have the 242-T case........lol

Dave

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 242 as well, but I can't really disagree with this. The Full Time option really is 4wd for dummies, and it's not as good as the part-time option for off road due to the clutches allowing slippage.

That said, when I drive up to Michigan for the winter, I'll probably get some use of the Full Time option. Fire and forget is kinda nice for intermittent slippery snow stuff.

Agreed.

I run on a lot of country roads in the NE Ohio and NW Pennsylvania snow belts all winter and they go from barely wet to drifted and unplowed. The FT setting comes in really handy on those types of roads. When running up a farmer's L-O-N-G driveway I pop it into PT so I'm sure not to get stuck and have to call him to bring his tractor :happy175:

Bob