part time 4x4 light on all the time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question but i was not that fimiliar with libbys that much before i got mine sooo here goes...i jus got my 2002 rene running for the first time like 2 weeks ago since ive owned it almost a year and i have been driving it since then and i have noticed that my part time 4x4 light stays on all the time is this supposed to be on or could there be a problem.. i have tried to take it in and out of 2hi 4lo and 4hi and it cuts on and off in between 2hi 4hi and 4lo but stays on in 2hi is this correct?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No...it should go off. Does it feel like it's in 4wd?

Probably just the sensor on the transfer case.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question but i was not that fimiliar with libbys that much before i got mine sooo here goes...i jus got my 2002 rene running for the first time like 2 weeks ago since ive owned it almost a year and i have been driving it since then and i have noticed that my part time 4x4 light stays on all the time is this supposed to be on or could there be a problem.. i have tried to take it in and out of 2hi 4lo and 4hi and it cuts on and off in between 2hi 4hi and 4lo but stays on in 2hi is this correct?

Common problem. Transfer case position sensor. How to on here somewhere where if you remove the center console, the sensor is an easy switch.

If you can check your codes, you'll probably have something like a p0837/0839

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did have the center console out when i shampooed the carpets... does this mean its still in 4x4 how do i fix this?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
i did have the center console out when i shampooed the carpets... does this mean its still in 4x4 how do i fix this?

Nope, just the indicator is messed up. Heck, you could unplug it and be fine.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some claim the ecu acts differently because it thinks its in part time. I don't believe this to be true but what do I know. Mine has been on for about two years with no ill effects.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well the X fer case is purely mechanical....so it wouldn't affect that.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it wont hurt to unplug it till i can get around to replacing it?

That is correct. You'd know it if you were in 4wd on the pavement. The first tight turn you'd make would feel like the drivetrain was coming apart.

I believe there are some consequences for later model jeeps with ABS in that the sensor tells those systems to act differently when in 4wd. But for those of us with straight 4x4's with no ABS, it merely shines a light.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online