part time 4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PETER BLANCHE

Reaction score
hi all, some advice please if possible, i have a 2006 2.8 jeep crd sport manual transmission. my problem is: when i put it into part time 4 wheel drive it seems ok going foward in a straight line, but when i turn the the wheels left or right there seems to be a judder in the steering . is this normal? it seems to be ok in normal drive. any advice on this would be really appreciated......thanks......peter.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part time is for driving off road or slippery surfaces only
if you drive Part time on dry roads you will kill the transfer case (as in break into pieces)

dry roads - or anything with good traction is for Full Time 4x4 or 2 wheel drive
no 4 lo, no part time.

so yes it's normal - and it's bad for the transfer case

I just noticed you have a manual - which means you don't have Full time - you only have Part time.
so you can only use 4wd on dirt/mud/gravel roads/ snow - and you might be okay in rain if your tires are bad
if your tires are good - you can't use it in rain

Last edited:

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on gravel roads the steering in 4wd the steering should be stiffer - a bit harder to turn
but not shuddering, if it's doing that on gravel roads there may be another problem.
I would check bolts and linkages to see if something is loose.

OneOneNiner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you drive Part time on dry roads you will kill the transfer case (as in break into pieces)

Only in theory.](*,)Had pt time and full time mixed up for the first year of driving,with plenty of on road Pt time.

I know, I'mscrewy.gif