Paranoia or cause for concern?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of you may remember me talking about the transmission question on whether or not its slipping or not.

Well I think its much smoother when I go from Park to Drive but when going from Drive back to Park there is a serious jerk of the car almost feels like your taking the shifter out while the vehicle is in motion. My only concern is Im not sure if this is something that is classified as a "slipping" tranmission or if this is something completely normal?

What is Jeeps Warranty on the power train and is a ****** considered Power Train?

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Transmission is considered "Powertrain"...

Any idea what the Warranty is on the power train? we are at 56k right now I don't want to push it too much Trannys are too expensive. Anything I can check for as to why its doing this?

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:
Marlon_JBT said:

Any idea what the Warranty is on the power train? we are at 56k right now I don't want to push it too much Trannys are too expensive. Anything I can check for as to why its doing this?

3yr/36K mi. Talk to a mechanic about it, sounds like a possible problem.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SnowgodCCR said:
NVMY03GT said:
Marlon_JBT said:

Alright now your going to scare me :(

Power Train is only covered for 36k? aren't most vehicles covered for 75k?

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:
SnowgodCCR said:
NVMY03GT said:
Marlon_JBT said:

actually some foreign cars and now even gm have 10yr 100k on their powertrains, however jeep does not.

As for the clunk that you talk about when it goes into park from drive, my jeep does that also. im at 54k on my 02

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
NVMY03GT said:
SnowgodCCR said:
NVMY03GT said:
Marlon_JBT said:

actually some foreign cars and now even gm have 10yr 100k on their powertrains, however jeep does not.

As for the clunk that you talk about when it goes into park from drive, my jeep does that also. im at 54k on my 02

What about from Drive to Park? It almost feel like the car wants to lunge forward. Like I said I just don't want the Trans to drop out of the bottom. Im not sure what all the light on the dash monitor for so I couldn't see if there was a problem or not.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Have you checked your transmission fluid?

What year is your KJ? You might have the 70k powertrain warranty.

Haven't checked the ****** fluid just yet. Thats my next step.

KJ is a 2002

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:
What about from Drive to Park? It almost feel like the car wants to lunge forward. Like I said I just don't want the Trans to drop out of the bottom. Im not sure what all the light on the dash monitor for so I couldn't see if there was a problem or not.

I think that you mis-red what i typed, mine clunks going into park from drive. My kj is an 02 also, and i only had the 3/36, if im not mistaken they changed that for the 03's

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 05, the powertrain warranty was 7/70,000 but I think they changed it for the 06 models to 3/36. Prior to 05 I'm guessing it was also 7/70,000. Not sure. What year is yours?

Go on the Jeep website under warrenty and see if it's listed or the dealer can tell you.

Dave

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
NVMY03GT said:

I think that you mis-red what i typed, mine clunks going into park from drive. My kj is an 02 also, and i only had the 3/36, if im not mistaken they changed that for the 03's

GRRRR Figures I was a year off.

Okay sorry I had misread that. So to clarify how hard of a clunk is yours? Does it want to lunge forward or is it just something you hear? I know I'm being paranoid but I don't know enough about Jeeps just yet to classify what is the "norm"

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
you MIGHT have the 7/70 powertrain warranty. Check with the dealer, but as before, I think this is paranoia... as my Jeep does this as well. I may make a sound recording later today... to see if they're similar.

But regarding the warranty... that is very sad. My mom's 6 year old Kia is still under warranty and I'm already counting the miles.....

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:
especko said:
NVMY03GT said:

Okay sorry I had misread that. So to clarify how hard of a clunk is yours? Does it want to lunge forward or is it just something you hear? I know I'm being paranoid but I don't know enough about Jeeps just yet to classify what is the "norm"

you can feel the clunk and hear it, but it doesn't lunge forward or anything. im guessing its just a jeep thing.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
NVMY03GT said:
especko said:
NVMY03GT said:

you can feel the clunk and hear it, but it doesn't lunge forward or anything. im guessing its just a jeep thing.

"LOL" @ "Its a Jeep Thing" :)

Also. What do the idiot lights on the dash all monitor? I realize you have to be an idiot before the lights actually come on (Hence the Idiot Light terminology) But what does it all monitor other than the Temp of the Trans? Is it smart enough to pick up on anything else?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Definitely check with the dealer on the 7/70 as you might have it. I know I do and I bought my 03 late in the 2003 production year. All of them come with the 3/36 bumper to bumper, but a good bit of them have the 7/70 Powertrain. I believe somewhere around the 05 year Chrysler did away with offering the 7/70....

Trans temp light just does that....monitors the temperature of the ******. If it gets too hot, the light will come on.

I've been thinking about picking up a set of guages to add and monitor the oil pressure, ****** temp as well as voltage. I'm a BIG fan of gauges over dummy lights.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:

Also. What do the idiot lights on the dash all monitor? I realize you have to be an idiot before the lights actually come on (Hence the Idiot Light terminology) But what does it all monitor other than the Temp of the Trans? Is it smart enough to pick up on anything else?

OMG...there are tons of idiot lights on the dash. Which one are you interested in? Did you even get a owners manual with the JEEP? If you think you didn't look in your glove compartment, there is a small hidden shelf at the top. It took me 3 months to realize the book was in there!!

The idiot lights are there to help determine failures or alerts. You can also find out engine codes by doing a key in the ignition trick. But, if your not having idiot lights come on there is no real urgency.

I mentioned this before but I have the DRIVE to PARK clunk as well. It also occasionally happens if I'm going in REVERSE to DRIVE.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
NVMY03GT said:

OMG...there are tons of idiot lights on the dash. Which one are you interested in? Did you even get a owners manual with the JEEP? If you think you didn't look in your glove compartment, there is a small hidden shelf at the top. It took me 3 months to realize the book was in there!!

The idiot lights are there to help determine failures or alerts. You can also find out engine codes by doing a key in the ignition trick. But, if your not having idiot lights come on there is no real urgency.

I mentioned this before but I have the DRIVE to PARK clunk as well. It

also occasionally happens if I'm going in REVERSE to DRIVE.

HA ton of lights you are so not kidding.

Speaking of which - This is way off topic. but where the hell is Cruise Control on these things? It has every option BUT Cruise Control I don't get it. Is it not standard?

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:
Speaking of which - This is way off topic. but where the hell is Cruise Control on these things? It has every option BUT Cruise Control I don't get it. Is it not standard?

the controls for the cruise should be right on the steering wheel.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:

My cruise control is located right on the steering wheel. There is the CRUISE button, SET, RESUME/COAST, etc...