Painted My Chrome Clad Limited Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Is that a new KJ? Didn't you have the black Limited that was on 22's for a little while?

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Got a picture?

My first guess based on what you describe is because of the lack of primer and partly because of high humidity.

Take a look at the left side of the picture, you can see the small bumps and as you go to the right, they smooth out.

Attachments

• Picture 196.jpg
    Picture 196.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 32

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Orange peel would be nicer as it would be smooth, but funky looking. This looks as if I seasoned it perfectly with Emeril's " special rim seasoning"
If you are feeling "rough" paint, like pepper has been sprinkled onto the paint as it was drying, then it means that your coats aren't wet enough. The drops of paint that are flying out of the can are drying too quickly and aren't flowing out. That is partly because your coats (starting with your color) aren't wet enough and partly because of the heat. You need enough paint particles to hit the surface to flow out, but not so much that it runs. That completely varies with the degree of heat. You don't want to expose spray can paint to heat until it has flowed out and mostly dry to the touch.

Wow, great job and they look really great on your Liberty.
Thanks!

Looks great! Is that a new KJ? Didn't you have the black Limited that was on 22's for a little while?
Thanks. Nope. I've always had my silver one and I'm not a fan of bling. Nothing bigger than 17's for me. I'd go smaller if those wern't new tires.

I love it. Great job. I wish I had enough balls to paint my Jeep's wheels THAT EXACT COLOR!
If you lived closer, I'd help you out. I wouldn't hesitate.lol

Take a look at the left side of the picture, you can see the small bumps and as you go to the right, they smooth out.
I don't know. I can't tell if that is because there is no primer or because you aren't spraying enough paint in some areas. No primer will sometimes cause the paint to draw up on itself, causing something like what you have pictured there. Too little paint can cause severe orange peal, which can also look similar to what you have there.

Were those the chrome clad wheels you started with, or the painted aluminum ones?

That looks sharp!
The grille would look good in that colour as well.
(Only 'cause I'm not a fan of chrome on a Jeep!)
Thanks! I think doing the grille and the door trim that color would look nice also, but I'm not sure I want to go that far. Not right now anyway. I'm not a huge fan of chrome either, but time to do it all right is short at the moment. I've got a 21 month old, a brand new baby and a '67 Mustang that needs painted and put back together. It will most likely have to do for now. I just wanted the major part of the chrome gone.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by family KJ
Orange peel would be nicer as it would be smooth, but funky looking. This looks as if I seasoned it perfectly with Emeril's " special rim seasoning"

If you are feeling "rough" paint, like pepper has been sprinkled onto the paint as it was drying, then it means that your coats aren't wet enough. The drops of paint that are flying out of the can are drying too quickly and aren't flowing out. That is partly because your coats (starting with your color) aren't wet enough and partly because of the heat. You need enough paint particles to hit the surface to flow out, but not so much that it runs. That completely varies with the degree of heat. You don't want to expose spray can paint to heat until it has flowed out and mostly dry to the touch

I am beginning to think that I may not have sprayed it on thick enough (so as to avoid the even worse looking drips) Your description is great and makes sense. Well, I will sand down the rim (btw, aluminum) again this week-end and make another attempt. Thanks for all your help.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks like the paint wasn't going on evenly, or the lack of primer is causing it get tiny air pockets underneath.

edit: or what 67customs said.

I would trust a guy with "customs" in his handle.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to think that I may not have sprayed it on thick enough (so as to avoid the even worse looking drips) Your description is great and makes sense. Well, I will sand down the rim (btw, aluminum) again this week-end and make another attempt. Thanks for all your help.
Since it is aluminum, you could get some paint stripper (they make a nice spray on kind) that will remove everything you added quickly. Sanding is an option, but it will take longer. It is completely up to you. You will most likely have to sand a little for prep after the stripper, but you wont have to do as much sanding if you were just using sandpaper.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Since it is aluminum, you could get some paint stripper (they make a nice spray on kind) that will remove everything you added quickly. Sanding is an option, but it will take longer. It is completely up to you. You will most likely have to sand a little for prep after the stripper, but you wont have to do as much sanding if you were just using sandpaper.

So, I stripped all the paint from the spare (not fun....)

1. Sanded
2. primed
3. painted (different product and color)
4. cleared
5. Used a large fan to circulate air as it is crazy hot and humid
and......

Came out real nice...problem now, I dont like the color:rolleyes: I drive myself crazy....

So, I will just sand it up...AGAIN...and paint the black that I originally wanted to do. I think it was the combination of :

a. user error, b. not enough paint and c. Too hot in the garage.

Once I am happy, I will move on to the rest of the wheels, I will take pictures when all is finally done, hopefully they will look as good as yours.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy to hear that it looked better application wise. I hate that it turned out to be a color you didn't like.

Definitely post up pics when you get them done.