Pain in the rear-end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a Rusty's 2.5" suspension kit with the shocks, coils, ect. I took it to the shop to have them installed. Everything worked out cool, and now when I hit anything like rough pavement, the rear-end makes noises like something is loose. It sounds like its coming from the inside rear wheel wells. I called Rusty's and they said that they probably didn't put on the strut spacers. I took it back in thinking they did it wrong and they said it was because the bolts on the car do not fit into the aftermarket struts, so its going to make a little noise. I can't stand it and I don't know why it is doing this. Any help??

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like the rear shocks rattle. Mine did too. Fix by putting in washers on either side of the shock at the upper shock mount... or others suggest to crank the bolt down till the shock mount bends, but I personally don't like doing that.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I see the bolt. Is that anything that I can do on my own? I have never really worked much on cars like that before, but I can figure things out. Is it bad for the car, or is it just bad for the driver?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I see the bolt. Is that anything that I can do on my own? I have never really worked much on cars like that before, but I can figure things out. Is it bad for the car, or is it just bad for the driver?
Easy fix, just remove the bolt and place a fender washer or two in where the top of the shock mounts to add some width to the top of the shock, then the bolt will be able to tighten down on it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 ways to handle this
you can do as others have said and that will work ,add washers between the shock eye and the shock mount
this is also not the correct way to do things
the correct fix would be to remove those shocks and trash them
they are not made for a KJ
then pay for the correct shocks for a KJ
I am very happy with my OME shocks ,and they are made for a KJ

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on getting shocks for the KJ. The Rancho's i have work great. As far as the Rusty lift goes...... That is just the beginning. JMO though.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I already paid to have them installed, this thing is already costing me more than a grand, I did not think that it would cost this much to have a lift kit. I really wouldn't think that someone would sell a lift kit that wouldn't work. I mean I live in Florida so I really don't go off road. If I take off that bolt and add a washer, hell is not going to break loose, meaning the shock is not going to move where i won't be able to line it up again right? Shouldn't the mechanic know this stuff so I don't have to do it?

Last edited:

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I already paid to have them installed, this thing is already costing me more than a grand, I did not think that it would cost this much to have a lift kit. I really wouldn't think that someone would sell a lift kit that wouldn't work. I mean I live in Florida so I really don't go off road. If I take off that bolt and add a washer, hell is not going to break loose, meaning the shock is not going to move where i won't be able to line it up again right? Shouldn't the mechanic know this stuff so I don't have to do it?
$1000 in a lift is cheap.Adding lift kits to vehicles always requires modifications,no way around it and will always be that way.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just came from the place where I had the lift installed, they told me that the bolt on the top of the rear shock is smaller then the eye on the shock, thats where the rattling is coming from. All the spacers are put on correctly, I have no clue what to do. Rusty's says that if it is installed right it will not rattle. This suck

Last edited:

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just came from the place where I had the lift installed, they told me that the bolt on the top of the rear shock is smaller then the eye on the shock, thats where the rattling is coming from. All the spacers are put on correctly, I have no clue what to do. Rusty's says that if it is installed right it will not rattle. This suck

Bite the bullet and get new Rancho shocks. Problem solved

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bite the bullet and get new Rancho shocks. Problem solved
There are only 2 companies that make the correct sized rear shocks for a lifted KJ,key word is lifted.OME makes 2 different ones,one is for there OME lift(1/2" longer then stock) and the other is made for the FrankinLift and can only be bought at AllJ's.The only other company that makes the correct rear shocks is SkyJacker.All the other companies are using rear shocks made for a stock hieght Durango,those upper mounts are just a tad narrower then the KJ's shocks.That includes the Rancho 17004's,which are for a Durango.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only 2 companies that make the correct sized rear shocks for a lifted KJ,key word is lifted.OME makes 2 different ones,one is for there OME lift(1/2" longer then stock) and the other is made for the FrankinLift and can only be bought at AllJ's.The only other company that makes the correct rear shocks is SkyJacker.All the other companies are using rear shocks made for a stock hieght Durango,those upper mounts are just a tad narrower then the KJ's shocks.That includes the Rancho 17004's,which are for a Durango.

Thats right!? They were for the Durango.:D

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem fixed. The idiots at the shop didn't tighten the bolts for the shocks. I grabbed a socket wrench and tightened the loose bolts. Drives great now.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem fixed. The idiots at the shop didn't tighten the bolts for the shocks. I grabbed a socket wrench and tightened the loose bolts. Drives great now.

Great news. I know when something is wrong on mine. (Argh)It drives me nuts till its fixed. Did they tell you to take it back after 1000 mo of driving for a re torque?

Latest posts

Members online