p1281 with new thermostat.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The t-stat in the jeep is only a month old but it is one from autozone...

Today, my wife calls me and says the check engine light came on. I happen to be in NJ for the week for work. I had her turn the key on and off 3 times quickly and the code displayed as P1281- engine cold too long. I researched and culprit is a stuck t-stat. She said at a stop she is getting warm air out of the vents but not hot. The temp gauge is showing that the coolant temp is within normal operating range.... I figured if the t-stat was stuck it wouldnt warm up to full operating temp thus causing that code.

I do feel that it is most likely the t-stat, so I ordered one from the dealer today and she will get it tomorrow and I will change it Saturday when I home. My main concern is could anything else cause this code to come up? I want to go ahead and check any other possible causes out since I have to be out of town again next Monday.

Thanks,
Andrew

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe there's an air bubble in the system? I assume you bled it though so I'm guessing the autozone t stat. Mopar ones are best usually.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did bleed it and since the change we drove from SC back to PA and all around town and my wife just made a trip to NY without any check engine lights. It could be a rogue air bubble, but I am guessing the cheap t-stat (even though it cost more than the OEM one).

I have noticed and my wife has also mentioned that sometimes the heat would just be warm some days and then other days it was working fine. I figured it was possibly a clogged heater core. (I did back flush the heater core back when we first got the jeep in October)

Andrew

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it installed in the correct orientation? I believe the little bleed thing has to be on top.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have heard before that new after market thermostats fail open.
Just get the Mopar 195F # 68174083AA and you should be good to go.
55183[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was installed correctly. I even double checked that.

I called the dealership today and my wife is going to pick up the Mopar one tomorrow and when I am back home over the weekend I will swap it out. Its a pretty simple job.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Mopar one. Simple.
Tyler

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped out the thermostat yesterday with the Mopar unit. Took it for a test drive and no code now. The heat also worked better. After I changed it the first time the heat just didnt seem to get as warm as it did before and at highway speeds it was alright. So I figured clogged heater core, even though I flushed that months ago. Now the heat gets hot at idle which is nice in PA at this time of year!

I tested the thermostat by putting it in near boiling water and it does open up. I am just wondering if it wasnt opening enough or fast enough. :shrug:

Thanks for the help
Andrew

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
From experience the aftermarkets sometimes seem slow to open at times. Its never a matter usually of not opening or closing but just slow at times. Mopar ones seem best over all to use. Just a like a few more items it pays in the long run to get one from the dealer

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed!

Oldest rule of automobile repair: NEW DOES NOT EQUAL GOOD

No, wait it's: KEEP THE BEER COLD