P0456

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a2006 Jeep Liberty that is throwing the above code. EVAP emission control leak (very small).

Does anyone know what this is and how it is repaired??

I just recently replaced the gas cap.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light went on last night on the way home from work. It was a code 442, evap small leak. Checked the gas cap and it didn't feel totally tight, so I removed and cranked it back on, which is the first easy thing to try for a small leak code anyway. Cleared the error code, and after 1.5 hours of driving, the code hasn't come back.
Why did you recently replace the cap, was there an issue with the old one? Maybe the new one isn't working correctly. Try the old cap if you still have it, clear the error code, and see what happens.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a2006 Jeep Liberty that is throwing the above code. EVAP emission control leak (very small).

Does anyone know what this is and how it is repaired??

I just recently replaced the gas cap.
Without a manual vacuum pump and smoke machine your guessing.

Though most common failures for EVAP leak codes on a KJ are gas caps,lines coming off the canister,and the NLD pump.If you did not install a MOPAR gas cap that can cause a issue even if the gas cap is new(but not MOPAR).

It takes 2 failures on 2 different completed drive cycles where the EVAP is tested to set a EVAP code.Could take days or weeks for the system to test the EVAP system twice.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost certainly the one coming off the carbon filter cannister in front of the rear diff. My second failure was the thicker of the two pipes that run along the left side of the chassis. There are small lengths of rubber tube connecting the plastic pipes approx below the drivers door hinge.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I replaced the gas cap with a geniune MOPAR gas cap. The reason I replaced it was because a couple of months ago I kept getting a audio dining sound and visual messageon the dash read gas cap. I ordered the MOPAR gas cap, and my fiancee noticed that the old gas cap was worn and felt the seal was not sealing properly. The visual message and audio ding finally went away. But now the P0456 appears.

What gives??