P0455 code costs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattoo18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was getting ready to buy a hitch (need to pull the motorcycle to GA for a ride soon), and then my malfunction light comes on. I work at a tireshop and I asked the tech to run a diagnostic for me. Code P0455 is thrown. Monday when my tech gets back, Im gonna rack the KJ and see if I find anythings cracks. I know how much some of the parts cost and I get a slighty better price than customers on labor rates, but if I have to replace something under there, could i do it myself and would it save me some money to do it myself (with parts, lack of equipment, and beer)? Or should I pay the shop and help the tech do it?

Oh and could this affect my mpg's? They seam to be low. 120 miles at 1/2 tank! To me that seams bad.

Sorry for all the newb questions. This is my first jeep and I dont know much about it yet?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
P0455 Evap Leak Monitor Large Leak Detected

Start with the gas cap...

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's about 12 mpg, easily obtainable with a KJ in city traffic or with bad driving habits. What a lot of people don't realize is - the throttle body opens up quicker than you think it is. It is not exactly linear with the gas pedal.

Last edited:

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st check gas cap, then check the lines going in to the evap canister for splits or cracks.

I've had 2 past chrysler products have the evap line split right at the connection with the canister. I just wrapped them with electrucal tape as the lines are molded and dealer only. If it is an evap line, and it's a small enough section you can always try heater hose, just make sure it's the right inside diameter so it doesn't leak.

mattoo18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new gas cap a few weeks ago when the same code was tripped, so we'll see monday I guess. tjkj what kind of pricy are we talking here? Like I said earlier, I've seen some prices on parts like the canister, but I dont know much about the other possibilities?

Thanks

Matt

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new gas cap a few weeks ago when the same code was tripped, so we'll see monday I guess. tjkj what kind of pricy are we talking here? Like I said earlier, I've seen some prices on parts like the canister, but I dont know much about the other possibilities?

Thanks

Matt
You got about 5 main parts to the EVAP system,hose just being one of them.There is a test pump,a few solenoids,and of course the EVAP canister.I can't say about prices for a KJ but a few EVAP systems I've diagnosed and a simple vent solenoid was a fault I've seen some reach $200+ for the part alone.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen numerous people that take their Jeeps offroad hit the evap canister with rocks, logs, etc., and crack them.
The two most common causes are split evap lines and loose gas caps. Is your cap OEM? I have seen a few brand new aftermarket locking gas caps cause a P0455 on people's cars right out of the box. They just don't seal well sometimes.
As stated, check the evap lines at the canister for splits, and also at the purge solenoid. These seem to be the two most common spots where the lines split.

mattoo18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. Thanks. I work today and most sundays are dead so I may have a chance to lift the KJ and see. I had the oem cap on it and the code tripped so I bought a cheap one at Autozone and it's back on.

Thanks a lot guys,

Matt

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is also throwing that code.. my hose going into the canister is cracked where is slips over the nipple thing. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. but its raining down here in south Florida so I might bring the jeep in the garage and spend a day fixing things. front coils/struts squeak still after like 3000 miles on the lift. gotta take it all apart even the strut and see if I cant diagnose it =[

mattoo18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a new gas cap (mopar this time) and fixed some hoses today. Also got a fuel system flush since I was at work. Disconnected the battery. Will report tomorrow on whether the light stayed off.

Thanks for all the help

Matt

mattoo18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does it take for the computer to pick up codes again? I drove the kj about 20 miles today and no light so far. But I'm not sure that's far enough. Anybody got anything?

Thanks

Matt

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know that it's how long you run the vehicle, but how many on-run-off cycles you do.

I could be mistaken though.

mattoo18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok that makes a little more sense than miles run. Thanks. I know that I went through 3 on/off cycles. Had a couples stops to make. I havent seen anything yet.

Thanks

Matt

Latest posts

Members online