P037 and P038?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got both of these (high and low voltage) this morning when I started my Jeep for work. Does this mean the sensor is completely bad or did I just knock a wire loose or something? My first CEL on this thing.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done. You can check the wires on the O2 sensor located under your driver seat side. There have been cases where the wires rub the driveline and eventually it causes a problem.

If all looks good time to switch out the O2 sensor. $22 from the dealer and the tool from your auto parts shop (if you don't have it) along with 5 minutes of time, done.

02 Sensor Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Molado. Any chance you're gonna be getting Forza2, btw? I'll shoot you a FR on Live, if so.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FR sent. Would have asked about it sooner but, we really don't seem to have many games in common (I can't stand Gears, it now belongs to my daughter). I've been looking forward to Forza2 for over a year, now.

Also, back on the original topic. I found the problem. The wires going to the sensor came out of the clip on the crossmember and melted against the exhaust. Would it be alright to just splice the wire back together, where it melted through? Or should I just get another sensor? Never had to replace one on anything I've owned, miraculously, so I'm a bit clueless about them.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the invite. I'll get it later when I log in.

I'm not to keen on the idea of splicing the wires back together. However, I really guess it wouldn't hurt. Again though its only $22 for a new O2 sensor with wiring, etc...

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just all the wrenching that I don't want to do. sticking a crimp connector or wire-nut on is quick and easy. Plus, I'm pretty much broke till next Wed. I'll get it changed, asap... just wondering if this would be ok? Also, what tool were you referring to? Looks like all I'd need is an end-wrench and a screwdriver. Actually, all I really need is new wire but, I'm not sure how it actually attaches to the sensor. Is it just plugged onto it or soldered? Heck, I could probably even rebuild the wiring on it. I have a soldering iron and I'm not afraid to use it! :D One last question: Is there a way to reset the computer to clear out the codes or would I need and OBDII Scanner for that?

dnm45227

Reaction score
don't meen to but in, but if you disconnect the neg battery terminal for 10 minutes or so it should clear the light.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as that special tool----go to a auto parts store and ask for a o2 sensor socket,they should point you in the right direction.Basically it's a deepwell socket that has a slit along one side for the o2 wire to go through.Depending on the o2 sesor location a wrench might work better,just use the box end and not the open end,those sensors can be in there pretty good and you don't want to strip the thing making your life hell.Also make sure you use some anti-sieze on the threads on the new o2 sensor(one of the only time I would ever think of using anti-sieze).

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I wonder how long this had been rubbing on the exhaust manifold? I just spliced two wires (one melted all the way through, one just exposing wire) at lunch today, reset the computer after work, and I can actually feel an increase in torque/hp. Can't wait to see what kind of mileage I get after I get it fixed properly.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha gotta love the o2 sensors on this thing! I've already had to have the left downstream sensor replaced 3 times. One more time and i hate to say this but it would qualify as a lemon. Looks like it might be bye bye Jeep if that does happen again.