Overheating(electric radiator cooling fan)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSAMARCO

Reaction score
I am having overheating issues on my 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 equipped with the towing package. It started on my way to work driving city speeds 45 to 50mph. I changed the thermostat (which seems to be the easiest and cheapest) and let it warm up while idling. It started to overheat again. I did a double check on everything and noticed that the electric radiator cooling fan wasn't working at all. Could this be the culprit? I have read elsewhere that if the vehicle has the Heavy Duty/Max Cool/Trailer Tow cooling package with the Viscous Fan Drive, that you don't really need the radiator cooling fan. Not sure if this is true or not. I did check the fan with jumper leads and it does not work. Does the electric fan have a huge impact on cooling or should I look in other problem areas like the water pump?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electric fan is the main cooling fan for the cooling system,the mechanical fan is to aid the electric fan in low speed cooling for towing loads.

Again be wary of aftermarket electric fans,there just junk so go OEM.While yoru at it make sure you switch the fan relay with the updated HD version from the dealership(only place to get it).

CSAMARCO

Reaction score
I though so. Glad that I don't have to deal with the water pump yet. Thank you guys for the super fast replies and the heads up with aftermarket fans. I will switch the fan relay asap. Is it located under the battery by the fender wall? I have only read a few post and haven't had a chance to look it up in the manual.

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine 40 miles down big shell beach here in southern tx and mine after overheating stopping pouring water in radiator and going a couple of times i tried to spin it by hand and it turned out it was sorta rusted so it wouldn't mover super easily and it worked like a charm after it broke lose

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I had the same problem with mine 40 miles down big shell beach here in southern tx and mine after overheating stopping pouring water in radiator and going a couple of times i tried to spin it by hand and it turned out it was sorta rusted so it wouldn't mover super easily and it worked like a charm after it broke lose

If it seized once it could do it again!
Best to replace it with a new one.

rkkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rad fan blew out mid last summer. In order to limp it home until I got to the dealer for an OEM fan I pulled the dead one out completely. That helped out a little. My thought was "if it's not working it's just restricting airflow through the rad". In the city it got a little warm (I never let it get near red) but on the highway it stayed at a safe level. The worst part was running the interior heat FULL bore during summer.

CSAMARCO

Reaction score
Update, I changed the fan this evening and I am still overheating. Could there be air in the system? I read and followed the standard refilling procedure and it still overheats while idling after about 30 min. I did notice while idling, running the heat on high, cold air blows. I am in the process of letting it cool down to check the fluid level. Does the system purge the air itself or is there something I am missing?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, I changed the fan this evening and I am still overheating. Could there be air in the system? I read and followed the standard refilling procedure and it still overheats while idling after about 30 min. I did notice while idling, running the heat on high, cold air blows. I am in the process of letting it cool down to check the fluid level. Does the system purge the air itself or is there something I am missing?
Cold air out of heat mode is classic air in the cooling system.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With it running cold and the heater on rad cap off did it burp as it was heating up??

[email protected]

Reaction score
Can someone tell me exactly where the electric radiator fan relay is located on a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport? I've been told under the battery or passenger headlite.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standing in front of the jeep hood open. Look down to the right on the subframe. It's 1.5" x 1.5" with 5 wire plug. Lower than the battery tray

richbrown

Reaction score
In a 2005?

Are the only relays for the electric fan in a 2005 in the housing next to the battery with the fuses? or is there somewhere else to look?

Thanks

Rich