Overheating again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaygen

Reaction score
02 Jeep Liberty Limited v6 3.7

Stupid thing runs hot when driving after just a few miles but not at idle. When I stop I can actually see and hear the coolant bubbling and spilling out of the reservoir. I replaced the thermostat yesterday and its still working. I have my wife getting a water pump on her lunch break. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

hsb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your hoses also, one could be collaping and cutting off flow of coolant.

Kaygen

Reaction score
I have checked all the hoses hot and cold and they are good. This mother of a drain plug on the side of the engine block is not coming off though.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly probably the same thing my coworkers has and they have not figured it out yet. So far was not the water pump, thermostat, hoses, PCM or fan. Oh they also changed out the relays and still have issues. I wish I knew so I could help. Check the water pump maybe it is that or perhaps the thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 thoughts have you checked the fan or fans and relay has the rad been checked?
Or has it been pressure checked.
Sorry for the tap talk and I dont have my glasses with me.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if nine years with the original radiator, worse if coolant has never been flushed...who knows.

Kaygen

Reaction score
Got the water pump off. Someone thought it was a brilliant idea to put a giant close to impossible to get off nut attached to the pump pulley. I defeated it. So this puts me at thermostat is good, hoses are good, water pump was/is good, cap is good. I used a hose on the up intake for the radiator and got good flow out the bottom. Flushed and refilled yet again and still boils up and overheats at speed but not at idle.

I did notice that when cranking it for the first time after refilling it that the hose that pushes fluid past the new cap was pushing out air. Thought this was no biggie as it finally started to run smooth. Decided to let it run a bit at idle to see if there was more air yet to come and lo and behold now its nothing but air. Any help would be appreciated. The next part may be dynamite.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds stoooopid, but... have You air in the system? Did You bleed it properly?

Just thinking out loud... :shrug:

Kaygen

Reaction score
I bled the fluid out of the radiator and what i could get from removing the hoses, water pump, and thermostat. The lower bleed valves would not come off so I just followed what Haynes was saying by leaving the tank cap off to let it flush the air out.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically if an engine over heats at speed its either a bad water pump or bad radiator. Also check the radiator cap.

If you do replace the radiator you have the ****** cooler built into the radiator, just so you know.

Kaygen

Reaction score
I replaced the water pump and ran water through the upper radiator hose and got good flow through to the lower radiator hose so i dont know that it would be a bad radiator. Also I replaced the cap.

Boosted_GS

Reaction score
I replaced the water pump and ran water through the upper radiator hose and got good flow through to the lower radiator hose so i dont know that it would be a bad radiator. Also I replaced the cap.

Its been asked but you haven't responded to it. Have you checked the fan? My friend has the same issue with her Eclipse, her fan seized up and just idling it was fine but with it driving it would over heat.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you schould get the radiator checked if it passes water it can still be to a point where its not geting compleat cooling.
Try and think of it as if you had 6cyl with a 4cyl radiator.
There are tell tail signs to look for if you know how and what to look for in the radiator.
Have you pressure test the cap and cooling system?
Also fuel air mix can make it run hot but I would think you would have other signs for that.
Keep us FYIed and good luck

Kaygen

Reaction score
OK, I am back from the holidays. I installed a new radiator today and did all the flushing and blah blah blah. Its still overheating when I get up to hwy speeds. Im seriously frustrated now. Any other help?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I am back from the holidays. I installed a new radiator today and did all the flushing and blah blah blah. Its still overheating when I get up to hwy speeds. Im seriously frustrated now. Any other help?

Only thing that comes to mind is that at highway speeds you may be getting blow-by from one of the cylinders that is leaking into the water jacket. But I'd think you'd have that problem when the Jeep is idling after running for a while.

I dunno, man. Seems to me - even though I offered my idea above - that coolant isn't being pumped through the engine due to an air bubble.

Sumfin' ain't right - you didn't make a pact with the devil did you? :smokin:

Bob

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow have you pressure test the system and cap yet.
If you do pressure test it let it set with pressure in it then come back and check it.
Another thing comes to mind is a hi speed belt slip rare but I have seen it. It wasnt a liberty and had the wrong belt on it. Boy did that thing jump at hi rpms.
Twobobs has a point too are you sure you know how to blead the system. Its not that hard to do if you know how but you do have to get the air out of it.

Kaygen

Reaction score
I have bled all i can bleed out of the system following the Haynes guidelines. Once its refilled through the reservoir I run it with the cap off until the air is all pushed out (takes about 5-10 minutes). I haven't pressure tested it b/c i don't have the equipment to pressure test it. I have replaced and checked the cap and thermo (they are opening). New water pump. New Rad.

As far as the belt issue. Belt seems tight and is relatively new. About 2 years old. It doesn't seem to have any odd wear on it. Its definitely doing its job at idle. I just cant fathom after everything I have done to this thing that its still bubbling over at 50-55+ miles per hour. I can say I drove it after heating it at idle for quite a few miles but it only started overheating at 50-55+. I really am dumbfounded. I feel like Doc Brown. But instead of going back in time at 88, I go broke at 55.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you said you checked the hoses, but rev it up and make sure a hose isn't colapsing at hi speed. Seems you did everything else.