overheated and now p0320

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loaned our kj to my mother for several weeks. I decided to borrow it back and do so a wheeling. I got about 15 miles on the hwy and looked down at the gauges, woops!. It was near the red danger zone! I pulled over and looked popped the hood. It was really friggin hot. Coolant bottle was showing no coolant...no coolant in oil...

I waited for for it to cool down and my wheeling companion took me to a farm for water. My thoughts were I could just dump it and refill when I got home. Filled it up as much as I could on the side of the road, it started roughly, and then ran smooth all the way home. I ran the heater to cycle the fluid through. I was worried about air pockets. I had heat almost right away and it ran just over the halfway mark until I got home. Entering my driveway it started to climb.

I let it cool down, checked for oil in coolant, and added Coolant. When I tried to start it, it stumbled and ran a few seconds then died. It wouldn't start. I got p0320 from the light.

I already had the drivers side hairline crack that needed about a splash of coolant every month or so. Perhaps it cracked from Another location? I always check it religiously, but I had not seen it in three weeks. It had to have lost it from somewhere else. Are these 2 things unrelated? When I drove home, it ran smooth. Nothing to say it was all jacked up. Even if i did warp a head, wouldn't I see signs somewhere obvious?

Do I need to address the crank sensor 1st? Did I warp my heads and it somehow is causing the 032 code?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd address the crank sensor first. When I overheated mine (long story) the HG went immediately and dumped coolant into the oil. Not to say you won't drop a valve seat soon but the crank sensor is probably causing the no start.

Oh, and fix the radiator ASAP.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.....let it fully cool, reconnected the battery and it started up with a few tries, BUT I walked around it and found white smoke from the tail pipe. The motor seems to run like normal, but white smoke is white smoke.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is likely steam . Sounds like you'll need head gaskets at least .

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a cylinder compression and a leakdown test.. that will tell you if the issues you suspect.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's finally going under the knife to assess the damage. Been sitting for a while, but it's been way too hot to get into it. Quick question about radiators, if I have the tow package, does that mean I have the oil cooler as well? When I look at radiators, it always shows that option.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's finally going under the knife to assess the damage. Been sitting for a while, but it's been way too hot to get into it. Quick question about radiators, if I have the tow package, does that mean I have the oil cooler as well? When I look at radiators, it always shows that option.

for the 45RFE ******, there is an in-radiator ****** cooler.
otherwise, it is an external ****** cooler.

there is no oil cooler.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only reason I ask is because on rockauto it shoes external oil cooler or not

I see that alot when manufacturers refer to ****** fluid as "oil". I'm sure they just mean the internal ****** fluid cooler that uss2defiant mentioned.