Overflow tube dripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 3.7 sport, just turned 75000.
I did a search first on overflow tube, hose, firewall, but didn't come up with what I am looking for. Sorry if this has been posted and answered somewhere else.
I was driving around today and noticed I was leaving little puddles by my passenger front tire. I followed the drips up to an overflow tube sticking out of my firewall on the passenger side under the overflow tank, right next to the exhaust manifold. It didn't look like green antifreeze, it looked more clear, but it did have a sweet taste to it. It didn't over heat at any time, nor have I ever had any mechanical problems before. I came home, let it cool down for a few hours and checked the overflow reservoir and it is a tiny bit low. The cold fill arrow points to the seam on the tank and the fluid level is just about an 1/8th inch below the cold fill arrow. I wondered if it had something to do with the weather here in CT. We had like 4 heat waves in the last 2 months and today it was cold and cloudy and only about 65. So for the last couple months Ive had the heat on in the morning and the AC on in the afternoon. I have just recently changed my driving habits also. Ive been laid off for a year so I didn't drive much, but now I'm back to work, have a 40 mile round trip commute 5 days a week, and just put 300 miles on it this weekend alone.
Any ideas as to whats up?
Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't from the AC? There is a hose coming out of the firewall from that. Comes and and bends down towards the ground.
Also I wouldn't be tasting anything esp. if you think it maybe antifreeze !:freak3:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It is normal during warm weather when the AC is on for it to remove humidity and condense it into water, which drains out that hose, and leaves puddles of water.
After running the AC, I will generally run in vent mode with AC off for a few minutes, and heat medium on, with windows down, to allow the system to dry out the dripping.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its coming from the rubber hose sticking out of the firewall its water, very normal. Its called condensation, happens when you use the A/C, or take a shower....

Trooper

Reaction score
I'm having this same problem, only I'm not using the AC because it's only in the 40's. And it doesn't appear to stop. Leaves pretty large puddles. No lights are on. And there is no color or smell, so I'm assuming it's water. I went trail riding a month or so ago and dropped into something too deep and was hung up. Ever since then, I have noticed this leak. I don't see any damage. Just wish I knew if I should get this looked at.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Your AC cycles on and off all of the time so even if you don't have the AC "ON" its still running

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like water off the AC unit as pointed out.

Put down some cardboard / paper and make sure its clear if your still unsure. Definitely stop drinking it. Mine leaves a puddle too but I've never back traced to a tube.

Other cheap things to check would be to fill your windshield wash and make sure its not leaking. If you've isolated it to a tube then that might not help.

dalbertyjr

Reaction score
I have the same issue, except mine overheats: 2003 3.7 Liberty (pretty sure it's not related, I think mines a thermostat issue). Liquid is clear, definitely not coming from the A/C canister, although there is a little bit of condensation on it. I've watched it drip from the tube.

Mtwalleye

Reaction score
Dripping and AC running even when turned off

My daughters 2008 Liberty has all of a sudden started leaving large puddles from under the passenger side. We traced it back to the little hose BUT it's 40 degrees here. She doesn't have her AC on. I am NOT a mechanic so hopefully I can explain this correctly. The belt and the metal circle under the belt continues to rotate at a high rate of speed whether the AC button is turned on or off. Her AC compressor is very cold like the AC is on when it's not. We took out the fuse that runs that "clutch" (I believe that's what the mechanic place called it) and now the water has stopped and the compressor isn't freezing cold.

So apparently it's "fixed" for now since she won't need AC for a couple months but we'll need to figure out how to get the AC to turn off eventually.

Any thoughts or has anyone seen this before? TIA

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughters 2008 Liberty has all of a sudden started leaving large puddles from under the passenger side. We traced it back to the little hose BUT it's 40 degrees here. She doesn't have her AC on. I am NOT a mechanic so hopefully I can explain this correctly. The belt and the metal circle under the belt continues to rotate at a high rate of speed whether the AC button is turned on or off. Her AC compressor is very cold like the AC is on when it's not. We took out the fuse that runs that "clutch" (I believe that's what the mechanic place called it) and now the water has stopped and the compressor isn't freezing cold.

So apparently it's "fixed" for now since she won't need AC for a couple months but we'll need to figure out how to get the AC to turn off eventually.

Any thoughts or has anyone seen this before? TIA

What setting is the directional selector on? If it is on defog or defrost the AC compressor will run. If you shut it off or set it to the floor position does it still run the compressor?

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What setting is the directional selector on? If it is on defog or defrost the AC compressor will run. If you shut it off or set it to the floor position does it still run the compressor?

The AC will also cycle in the feet only position. you can disable this by removing the climate controls and putting tape or something to cover the contact for the AC on the rear of the controls. I put tape on the contacts so that the only time the AC turns on automatically (without having the AC button switched on) is when the selector is turned to full defrost.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are sure the a.c. is off and you are getting water out of that hose, the heater core could be the culprit

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AC will also cycle in the feet only position. you can disable this by removing the climate controls and putting tape or something to cover the contact for the AC on the rear of the controls. I put tape on the contacts so that the only time the AC turns on automatically (without having the AC button switched on) is when the selector is turned to full defrost.

Mine doesn't act as such. Only when the defroster is on.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't act as such. Only when the defroster is on.

I suppose there could be a difference between the model years. On my 05 when the selector is in feet only or feet + defrost or defrost only positions the AC pump will cycle regardless of the position of the AC switch. I could hear the clutch kicking in and out. Also when looking at the back of the climate controls I could see an extra contact that would activate in the above mentioned positions only. And when I covered this contact on the feet only and feet + defrost positions the AC clutch stopped cycling.

What started me looking into it is that I could hear the clutch clicking on and off constantly and I didnt understand why because usually my selector is in the feet only position. I didnt realize at the time that that is the way the climate controls worked on these jeeps. So i searched these very forums and found the info on how to make the AC run less.

Again I guess this information may not apply to all years.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose there could be a difference between the model years. On my 05 when the selector is in feet only or feet + defrost or defrost only positions the AC pump will cycle regardless of the position of the AC switch. I could hear the clutch kicking in and out. Also when looking at the back of the climate controls I could see an extra contact that would activate in the above mentioned positions only. And when I covered this contact on the feet only and feet + defrost positions the AC clutch stopped cycling.

What started me looking into it is that I could hear the clutch clicking on and off constantly and I didnt understand why because usually my selector is in the feet only position. I didnt realize at the time that that is the way the climate controls worked on these jeeps. So i searched these very forums and found the info on how to make the AC run less.

Again I guess this information may not apply to all years.

This is true. My 02 only runs the compressor with the selector at the AC settings or the defrost/defog. I don't have an AC switch.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.