Overdrive, is it the 4th speed or what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barzef

Reaction score
Hi,

Kj's automatic trasmission is a 4-speed type as written in specs.

is the overdrive speed the 4th one or totally seperate mechanism other than 4-speeds?

thanks inadvance

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, overdrive is 4th gear.

Dave

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3rd gear is 1.00:1, 4th is overdrive. The 45RFE (2002-early 2003) has a .75 overdrive. The 42RLE (2003.5+) has a .69 overdrive.

Barzef

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys

I am confused that when o/d is canceled engine speed drops 3 times from the start until reaching about 80kmph which suggests that the vehiche uses 4 speeds...

What do you think about the situation?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys

I am confused that when o/d is canceled engine speed drops 3 times from the start until reaching about 80kmph which suggests that the vehiche uses 4 speeds...

What do you think about the situation?

I'm confused what you mean. Doesn't your engine just coast when slowing down? My automatic doesn't down shift. With O/D on sometimes it can feel like a 5 speed with torque converter lockup but it's definitely a 4 speed...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe he's referring to the engine speed (rpm's) dropping every time it up-shifts, and he seems to be seeing 3 up-shifts (2-3-4) even though it's not in OD.
Is this a CRD (diesel engine) by chance? Then you would have a 5 speed automatic, 545RFE.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe he's referring to the engine speed (rpm's) dropping every time it up-shifts, and he seems to be seeing 3 up-shifts (2-3-4) even though it's not in OD.
Is this a CRD (diesel engine) by chance? Then you would have a 5 speed automatic, 545RFE.

I thought the 545RFE was the manual

EDIT: further research has shown that it is indeed an auto

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ah right. Makes sense now.

Barzef

Reaction score

you are exactly right about what I wanted to say,

but nope it is 3.7 not diesel

why I am obsessed about this subject is my transmission problem couldn't be solved for about 3 months.

at the moment, if I deactivate o/d ("O/D off" is turned on), transmission works well, but while o/d is active ("O/D off" is turned off) and vehicle needs to down-shift from o/d to 3rd gear an abnormal striking is felt and after 10-20 strikes (and strikes gets stronger) check engine light turns on and an error with the 4th gear ratio appears...

so I am trying to figure out the source of the problem, TCM or gears them selves?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are exactly right about what I wanted to say,

but nope it is 3.7 not diesel

why I am obsessed about this subject is my transmission problem couldn't be solved for about 3 months.

at the moment, if I deactivate o/d ("O/D off" is turned on), transmission works well, but while o/d is active ("O/D off" is turned off) and vehicle needs to down-shift from o/d to 3rd gear an abnormal striking is felt and after 10-20 strikes (and strikes gets stronger) check engine light turns on and an error with the 4th gear ratio appears...

so I am trying to figure out the source of the problem, TCM or gears them selves?

Sounds to me like your O/D clutch pack is ******** the bed (for lack of a better term). Have a ****** shop hook it up to a computer and read out the CVI (clutch volume index) numbers. If they're out of range (Fundamentals or Forgetamentals Part 3 - Chrysler and Dodge | Search Autoparts <-- Ignore the part about the "dumb learn." Relearns are to be done by computer on these Jeeps.) then you likely have a problem with clutch material failing --> New/Rebuilt/Used trans time.

Barzef

Reaction score
Sounds to me like your O/D clutch pack is ******** the bed (for lack of a better term). Have a ****** shop hook it up to a computer and read out the CVI (clutch volume index) numbers. If they're out of range (Fundamentals or Forgetamentals Part 3 - Chrysler and Dodge | Search Autoparts <-- Ignore the part about the "dumb learn." Relearns are to be done by computer on these Jeeps.) then you likely have a problem with clutch material failing --> New/Rebuilt/Used trans time.

ok, I will do that, thanks for the suggestion