Out with the old, in with the...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running a Sundown E10d4, which was on a Sound Ordinance/Crutchfield 1350m. I put the amp into the wife's ride and was running a brx1200.1. I had been toying with the idea of running an 8" sub to get some storage room back. I ordered an American Bass XD844, and swapped amps with the wife. I'm building a box and will run a single and see how I like it. I'll more then likely add a second, and will be changing amps either way. So here's the build. I'm building it a little on the large side to make up for lack of power. .97 cuft [email protected], 10.5x1.5 port

I went to home depot this morning and picked up 2 small sheets of 3/4" MDF. I usually get the full size sheets but wouldn't have any help today.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also, I only have access to my grandpa's old ass table saw. I used it to build my E10 box and it was horrible. The fence wouldn't stay tight and locked in crooked. I was able to adapt and overcome like a boss. See my pimp roller stand to hold the cut end up?

First cut, this was the height for all of the walls and the port. So far so good.

...and I ran out of wood. The picture makes them look cut uneven, but they turned out perfect. Here's all the cuts except the bottom and top pieces. I'll have to pick up another small sheet tomorrow to finish the cuts. Hopefully I'll be able to start putting this thing together. Im extremely haooy with it so far, and its half as wide as my current box. Btw the dimensions of the box are 16w x 12h x 17d

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sub came, and wow this thing is beefy for an 8, weighing 14lbs.

My box is almost done, and should be finished today. I just need to put the top on and round the edges

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting on the caulk to dry, starting to countersink the screws.

Here's a shot of the port. Huge pita to caulk the inside of the port.

I also picked up this to cover the box with

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can design u one if u give me some max dimensions and what sub(s) you are using. I was trying not to spend too much time on this box since I will more then likely be adding a 2nd sub...but didn't want it to look like ass either. Hopefully I'll at least be able to test it this weekend. I have to swap my steering rack out, and it looks like that will take a minute

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the interior baffle design. Can't wait to see the finished product. :cheers:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
After Installing the New Pioneer HU a few days ago, I am wishing for a SUB & starting to drool over your sub project too!
Looks like the empty rear seat could get filled LOL...

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Got the sub ready to drop in, and got the cutout finished. All that's left is to blow out the inside of the box and it's ready to test

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For comparison purposes, this is the box the Sundown E10 was in. First ported box I ever did, and had trouble with the table saw making strait cuts. Ugly but sounded great. It was made to fit behind the seat of my TJ

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an installed pic. I got everything ghetto right now, I'm waiting on some brass bolts/nuts to get here to make some terminals with. I got a lot of room back over my old setup

I finally got it in, and I'll say I wasn't the least bit impressed at first. After about 3 songs it seemed like someone flicked a switch. It was incredibly stiff new, so i know it will get louder the more i play it. This thing is a beast, and there's no way I'd believe it was an 8 if I wasn't the one that put it in there. The lows are louder than the E10, and everything else is equal to it, if not louder. This sub is definately worth checking out if you want some bass, don't want to give up much space, and are on a budget($75 shipped). It laughs at the clean 350w I'm giving it, even in the 1cuft box. I'm starting to look for a bigger amp and see how it does on about 600-650w. I'm going to start covering the box tomorrow, and I'm thinking of doing a how to on it.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to clean up the mess, and just couldn't wait until my brass terminal bolts got here, so I picked up some bolts that are the same size to temporarily use. The fender washers will sandwich the mdf. The permanent setup with brass bolts will have brass wing nuts to easily remove the box if needed.

I also started trying to design an amp rack for under the rear seat, but decided to wait until I decide on an amp.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had these t nuts in an old prefab box that was tucked away in the closet. Sometimes I'm cheap, so I decided to knock them out and reuse them. After about 2 hours of soaking in acetone, and about 20 minutes with a knife...I got the silicone off and they are ready to reuse

Some guys dislike them, but I never had a problem. I always press them in with a c-clamp, then put a dab of gorilla glue to hold them.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been busy as hell with work and the recent storms. I got a little more accomplished. I made my temporary bolt terminals with 10awg going from the sub to amp.

I also mounted the amp to the seat and cleaned the wiring up. I'm going to be ordering an amp this weekend so i didn't want to do any permanent mounting. After i get the new amp, I'll prolly make an amp rack or something. Hopefully I'll get around to covering the box, and cutting the excess off the terminals this weekend

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered my amp today, PPI Phantom P1000.1. It has a fairly small foot print, so I'm gonna see if I can build an amp rack under the rear seat for it.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered my amp today, PPI Phantom P1000.1. It has a fairly small foot print, so I'm gonna see if I can build an amp rack under the rear seat for it.

Make sure you measure with the seats folded down (If you use them). I found it was a issue when I put my sub under there.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I was going to do it under the drivers side rear seat since I never fold that one down

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides a little vacuuming that, and covering the box, install is complete. Amp fits perfectly under the rear seat, and it even clears folded down. I really like the amp, and it's a great budget amp ($164 shipped). I also like the remote bass knob, which is a sub volume knob. Most cheaper amps with the remote knob controls the bass boost.

Im digging having some of my cargo area back

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did I just see this thread? That's an awesome setup, and ever since I got rid of my sub I've been wanting to redo my entire system and possibly add in a sub again. Did you fill that box with any of the stuffing stuff? Or just leave it as is?

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G that looks like a heckuva deal on that driver, looks like the tinsels are woven into the spider to prevent slap. It even looks like dual spiders, is possibly a TC Sounds TC 9 motor assembly?

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left it as is, when the box is built around the sub's t/s parameters there's no need for any type of fill. I just finished a new box and added a 2nd sub. I'll get some pics up soon. For a pair of 8's, it's pretty f'n loud