OTC 9450 ABS & SRS Scan Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and bought one (online, should have it in about a week). I'll post my results. It would be nice if it can help me fix this airbag light BS which seems to plague so many Chrysler products for some reason.

This airbag issue almost seems like a problem that they've created on purpose to force people to go to the dealer. Airbags aren't that complicated. If all the parts are there and connected, the system should work.

I can't wait to see what this scanner says is wrong, since I've already examined every sensor, checked every connection, including continuity through the clockspring. It might simply be a case of clearing a code, which this OTC tool is supposed to be able to do.

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, so far this scanner is turning out to be a piece of $hit.

I tried to scan the airbag module and all it says is "Command Rejected."

What good is that? Prior to purchasing it, I wrote to their technical support department and asked if it will scan the airbags for my Jeep and they wrote back saying that it "appears" that it will. (This response didn't inspire much confidence, but I bought it anyway).

I've written to them to ask for further instructions on how to make it scan my airbags, since they claimed that it would.

It will scan generic OBD II codes, so the unit is working and communicating with the vehicle.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of OTC diagnostics. Two words to describe that area of their products: They Suck! I've owned one of their scan tools, and an oscilliscope at one time, and compared to the Snap On stuff, its utter garbage. They are well known in professional circles to not living up to their claims, and their tech support... haha what is that? The problem you ran into, is in their description, it says... most domestic vehicles 1996-2008. You, lucky you, own one of the many that it wont. Chances are, its far from most domestic, and most likely a few at best. I remember when they bragged about having coverage in their scan tools for a couple euro brands. First time I tried it, I found out what coverage it was, OBDII generic, which is almost useless these days. I thankfully do not work at that facility anymore, and where I am now, its snap-on, which is what I own personally now too.

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of OTC diagnostics. Two words to describe that area of their products: They Suck! I've owned one of their scan tools, and an oscilliscope at one time, and compared to the Snap On stuff, its utter garbage. They are well known in professional circles to not living up to their claims, and their tech support... haha what is that? The problem you ran into, is in their description, it says... most domestic vehicles 1996-2008. You, lucky you, own one of the many that it wont. Chances are, its far from most domestic, and most likely a few at best. I remember when they bragged about having coverage in their scan tools for a couple euro brands. First time I tried it, I found out what coverage it was, OBDII generic, which is almost useless these days. I thankfully do not work at that facility anymore, and where I am now, its snap-on, which is what I own personally now too.

Yeah, I have discovered this to be the case. Fortunately I only paid $106.99 for it. Their MSRP is $300 which is absolutely not worth it.

So far their "tech support" has consisted of some dude e-mailing to tell me to try specifying 2003 instead of 2002 for the vehicle. That didn't work. They are truely useless and are incapable of addressing the problem.

So basically, I have a generic OBDII scan tool that MIGHT work on some random vehicles that I don't own.

I already had generic OBDII capabilities in my "***-Com" scan tool which is a Volkswagen specific tool. It actually does scan ALL modules on ALL VW products, including Audi. Can change values and settings too. The experts say it is better than the official VW scan tool! All for only $349 and excellent tech support from Ross-Tech, the company that makes it. If only someone mades something like that for Chrysler.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***-COM is a sweet setup from everything I have heard, and its not insanely priced either. Its easier to use then the VW setup. VW's way is a nightmare to navigate, or enter rather. Most of the carmakers are going to software based diagnostic solutions anymore, but they are pricey. Ford has their IDS, GM has their GDS, and GDS2, etc. I think Chrysler is rolling out their own soon, but whereas Ford is backwards compatible, the other makes tend to not be. There is two or three OE tools for Mopar as of right now, depending on whether it is a CAN vehicle or not, etc.

To get into a scan tool thats useful, you are going to fork over some money. Think $2k or more, even used. Anything diagnostic related, OTC ***** period. Snapon covers alot, and has decent information to support it, but it has holes in its coverage, and has the odd error. Only way to get away from the holes, is OE, sadly.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And seeing the OP is from canada, using OE tools may be hard to do, since canada lacks some of the consumer protective laws we have here.