Optional 4.0 Litter V6 on Nitro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Dodge.com and noticed that the top of the line Nitro (R/T) comes with a 4.0 Liter V6 (260 hp/ 265 torque) instead of a 3.7 (210 hp/ 235 torque). I'm surprised that Dodge is not using the 3.8 V6 that is in the '07 Wrangler.

For towing, the 4.0 V6 doesn't tow any more (5,000 lbs. max... R/T only).

The Nitro also comes with Quadra-Trac I, over just part-time four-wheel drive. However, the web site doesn't mention anything about having 4-Low (are they witholding 4-Low from the Nitro?).

Anyway, I hope to see the 4.0 V6 in the '08 Liberty. I guess that means no 4.7 V8 as I've been wishing.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Nitro that I test drove last thursday had part time 4 wheel drive....the switch was on the center between driver and passenger seat....it was right next to the cup holder.....but it did not have 4 wheel drive lo

You must be registered for see images

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stackthepads30 said:
The Nitro that I test drove last thursday had part time 4 wheel drive....the switch was on the center between driver and passenger seat....it was right next to the cup holder.....but it did not have 4 wheel drive lo

You must be registered for see images

The knob for the 4WD looks pretty generic, kinda like a cheap box fan knob.
I would still hate a knob for 4wd engagement even if it was made of solid gold though, I am more of a direct connection type guy.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
who knows how long it would take to engage that

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
instantly, really? that's not bad then.
that tow/haul, does that mean O/D off?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:

I believe tow/haul is actually different. Im not sure exactly what it does, but my friend has a Yukon XL that has a tow/haul mode and then an entirely different O/D button.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesn't hand shift do it mechanically, while these nobs and buttons do it electronically, and sometimes slip instead of forcing into gear, when you must use it instantly?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
doesn't hand shift do it mechanically, while these nobs and buttons do it electronically, and sometimes slip instead of forcing into gear, when you must use it instantly?
4WD doesn't "lock in" until you drive a few feet anyway. I felt no difference between the two.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:

When you pull back on you 4x4 lever, it doesnt actually go into 4wd right then. It just (i believe this is how it works) releases a spring that was holding it in 2wd and now lets it go into 4wd when the gears line up.. I could be totally wrong, but I think thats close..

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
hyedipin said:

I believe tow/haul is actually different. Im not sure exactly what it does, but my friend has a Yukon XL that has a tow/haul mode and then an entirely different O/D button.

From what Ive seen, towhaul is the same. Someone told me once that while it also holds it in 3rd, it also makes it upshift alittle later to keep the rpms alittle higher.. Not to sure on that though..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Marlon_JBT said:
Are you people obsessed with anything that says 4.0L?

This means that the '08 Liberty will have a 4.0!

No it doesn't. I just don't understand why everybody's obsessed with a hunk of iron?

It's a legendary engine and all, but .....

never mind.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love KJ period

I am sure they said the same thing about grand cherokee when it was about to be introduced.. or when it changed first time.. or second time.. (i like the second generation grand cherokee WJ most)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I love KJ period

I am sure they said the same thing about grand cherokee when it was about to be introduced.. or when it changed first time.. or second time.. (i like the second generation grand cherokee WJ most)

Me too, although we have a 94 grand cherokee that Im VERY fond of!! O:)