opinion please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really loving how the black turned out on my flares, bumpers, fog lights, door trim, and rocker panel covers... I am considering painting the wheels, antennas, door handles, wiper arms (original paint flaking off), wiper cowel, roof rails, and off road lights all black too... anyone think that would be going into "over-kill" territory?
BEFORE:
You must be registered for see images

AFTER:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good,don't forget the antenna mount trim. What paint,prep did you use?

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just washed it really good, and used the krylon fusion paint, which is supposed to bond to plastic really well... didn't sand it because I was going pretty thin with paint and knew it would show through... I did it cheap like this because Thefront and rear bumpers will be getting replaced eventually, and the rocker panel covers will eventually be coming off, and I might be either heavily modifying my flares, or just using them as a mold to make some fiberglass ones that just stick out, and don't come back in (kind of like the old rubber flares on CJ's and aftermarket rubber flares... My goal ultimately is to get some 33x10.5 or equivilant tires under the flares with only a 3" lift (the inner fenders will come out, and then the metal will get coated withbedliner)... Any other painting i do, such as door handles etc... will be with a black paint mixed at NAPA, then put into spray cans, I had pretty good luck with that before. If I do something with these wheels, the plan will be to powder coat them black, strip the paint off the raised edges of the spokes, and polish those edges and the outter rim area, then have a powder coat clear applied over them... If I decide to keep these wheels for street

Last edited:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
please dont paint those wheels black. if you want to paint wheels black find someone who has plain alums and wants those greys and trade..
i would find it a great shame to paint those.
and for not alot of money you can get a set of soft 8s that are already black

but other than that go for the gold!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Instead of painting the radio antenna black for $15 delivered, you could get the black Euro Style from http://www.antennax.com/m-17-jeep.aspx?pagenum=2
The stock whip was too tall and now it is perfect not in the way when cleaning the windows.
In this link Luke has the billet style on his rig.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44712&highlight=antenna
Mine is Khacki, however the new antenna has good reception and looks good!
36057[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• LtKhackiJeepKJ.jpg
    LtKhackiJeepKJ.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The soft 8's or something similar in a 15x10 is the plan for the 33's... idk... i think the stock ren wheels would look pretty sweet in black and polished... i suppose i could mock one up with electrical tape and some silver paint to see if i like it before i commit to it

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it goes SFA... It will be paid off, and worn out, then it will go on a K5 chassis with 3/4 or 1 ton axles, a built v8, and at least a 6-8" lift kit, and about 40" tires... hopefully a few years away... wont be paid off for about 4.5 years as it is.
yeah, i have been kind of thinking about the 33"s being a little big for it. but they are also not much bigger than than 265/75 16's... about a half to 3/4" taller overall (divide by 2 for static height), and about 2 inches wider (roughly). it's the width i'm after, more than the height. Man I wish Micky Thompson still made the Baja Belted (the original one), that came in a 31x13.5/15... those would look so sweet on this thing

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose I could go for a 32x11.5/15 on some 10" wide wheels... not sure if even modified flares will clear that combo at this point, so I don't know if the tire size I want will ever happen... til it becomes a K5 Lib anyway

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going to wheel it at all 265-75s on an 8 inch wheel is about the tallest, widest you can go, trust me on that. I have had 5 differnt sets of tires and two sets of wheels on trying different sizes. If I could find what I wanted in a 16 X 7 instaed of the 8 inch it would be perfect. With 4 inches plus of lift and 2 inches of bumpstops I still rubbed in the back, had to go to 3 inches.
10 inch wheels and wider tires will never allow you to turn sharply at all.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as for the turning, i was planning on removing the inner fenderwell, and modifying the floor, ie... cutting a portion of it out, and moving it into the cabin and welding it back in (in a simple explanation)... i have more foot room than i'll ever need, so i could eventually sacrafice some of it, as for the rear... i'd again pull out the inner fenderwell, i figured if the bottom edge of the flare didn't exist, there would be room for the rear tires to compress a bit more without contacting, but again, i have done no measuring at this point in time. The inside fender surfaces would become coated with lineX or Rhino liner, or some equivelant

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you live by the way? I want to make sure I'm on other roads when you start cutting out structural pieces of the KJ. The pinch weld is there as part of the unibody, cut it out and it weakens the whole thing.

OK if its only going to be off road and you don't care but....

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as i said... simple explanation, i couldn't go into better details without drawing pictures of my ideas, and the pinch weld is already in consideration, but the extra bits would be no less than 14 ga sheet metal, and up to 1/4" (making the end result just as strong if not stronger...) i think, now i can't remember, might have been thicker than that, just got done fixing lawnmower and replacing sensors on the womans car, so this future idea/pipe dream/pot talk isn't real fresh in my head at the moment.

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And as long as we are working on shooting down any modifications of important saftey related designs... Why on earth would someone modify the stock suspension to use conduit nuts? why would they stack up a pair of isolators on a rear spring? Why would someone put a solid front axle under a subframe that was only designed for IFS, there are a lot of tortional differences between the two. why would... etc... yada yada... everyone gets the drift i am sure. you all assume that it's safe because someone did it already and then ran it for 50,000 miles, then you decide it's safe enough to try... I am sure that what you have said about the pinch weld has been said about every other mod that has been done to date... Some of us have to take the first step though, and we do, and we over design it for making it safe, then you can say weather or not it's dangerous. I'm in the day dreaming stages, not the cutting and welding, or even the designing stages.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what... I am done putting my 2 cents in for people questions, and I won't reply to any of the "how did you do that?" questions, I'll just post pictures of how it's coming along, then no one can complain, or freak out about things they assume about me and my abilities...

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can I say? I was hitting the sauce again...