Only start with quick start spray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ-RSA

Reaction score
Good day all
So i have a 2003 2.5crd kj.

Recently it does not want to start, when i spray quick start it fires up, and runs well, when i switch it off and start again same story.

I've checked the fuel lines from the tank up to the filter and it all seems okay. Also note, no fuel pump in the tank.
I've also done fuel, air and oil filters on it.

What I have noticed is that when you you bleed the fuel system, there is fuel coming out at the rod of the prime plunger, so i blanked that of and used a primer pump that you use with an outboard, to bleed the system stil no firing up after that.

Do you think an inline fuel filter will help with this situation?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome...I live in White River and have the 2002 2.5L CRD...currently replacing Serpentine Belt and Pulleys etc.

The fuel filter sits on the LHS where you bleed the system...may be clogged or when it was last replaced the original rubber gasket sometimes stays behind...when you fit a new filter you need to check that there is not a gasket sitting there already...this can let in air!

This Jeep does not come with a fuel pump in the tank and I have never heard of anybody fitting one on these old Export 2.5 L CRDs.....they do not seem to have the same issues as the later CRDs as ours comes standard with a good fuel head!

You may have fuel leak somewhere...you need to test around the injectors etc. with a piece of paper to check for any leaks....do not get your fingers in those areas as the high pressure can cut you badly.

You can pull codes from the ECM by rapidly turning the ignition key ON/OFF 3 times without starting it then leave ignition on....codes will come out in series with the last code being the newest.....write them down!

Jeep KJ Service Manuals: www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

The 2.5...2.8 export diesel section has a breakdown of the above codes as to what is going wrong and what to do about it....very useful!!

Last edited:

KJ-RSA

Reaction score
Welcome...I live in White River and have the 2002 2.5L CRD...currently replacing Serpentine Belt and Pulleys etc.

The fuel filter sits on the LHS where you bleed the system...may be clogged or when it was last replaced the original rubber gasket sometimes stays behind...when you fit a new filter you need to check that there is not a gasket sitting there already...this can let in air!

This Jeep does not come with a fuel pump in the tank and I have never heard of anybody fitting one on these old Export 2.5 L CRDs.....they do not seem to have the same issues as the later CRDs as ours comes standard with a good fuel head!

You may have fuel leak somewhere...you need to test around the injectors etc. with a piece of paper to check for any leaks....do not get your fingers in those areas as the high pressure can cut you badly.

You can pull codes from the ECM by rapidly turning the ignition key ON/OFF 3 times without starting it then leave ignition on....codes will come out in series with the last code being the newest.....write them down!

Jeep KJ Service Manuals: www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

The 2.5...2.8 export diesel section has a breakdown of the above codes as to what is going wrong and what to do about it....very useful!!
Thanks for the reply.
I doubt it will be a clogged fuel filter as i changed it a month or two ago. Also only one gasket when i replaced it.
I got the codes, 7 of them.

P0110- intake air temp sensor signal too high/low
P0403- EGR solenoid circuit open/short circuit
P0579- speed control switch signal circuit voltage too high/too low
P0620- generator field control MALF open circuit/short circuit
P1130- fuel rail pressure malfunction small leakage detected
P1511- battery sense line 1 voltage too high / too low.
P1685- SKIM system invallid key code received.
SKIM system invalid secret key in EEPROM
SKIM system key communication timed out
SKIM system SKIM error
SKIM system write access to EEPROM failure.

Will 1st check out the leakage in fuelrail.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the P1130 code will be the first one to chase!
There is no date on these codes...could be months old and you cannot delete them.
The older codes ie. those higher up the list seem to eventually fade away.

I sometimes deliberately cause some error ie. disconnect some connector.
If you get a new code from this action you can use it as a marker ie. you know the date/time this code happened and anything after it is a new code!

Have fun!

Last edited:

Latest posts