Only Libby in local jeep club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a local Jeep club. I posted on their forum to see if there were any other KJ owners, and so far none.

I got a few replies. One person said "KJ, that's a Liberty right?".

One guy said "square peg".

Interesting.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
KJ's get a lot of dis-respect.

That wasn't "Adirondack Jeeps" was it?? There are a lot of real ********* SFA guys there.

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Actually it was.

I've never joined an offroad club, but there aren't many around here that I know of.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Actually it was.

I've never joined an offroad club, but there aren't many around here that I know of.

Do you know where the Moose River Plains is near Indian Lake? How far are you from there?

Dave

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just before last Christmas, a run was posted on another Jeep forum I belong to. The run was sponsored by a Jeep dealership so the attendance was big: over 40 Jeeps. I was the only KJ. Aside from one modified Grand Cherokee, the rest were CJ's and Wranglers. I got stuck once and had to winch myself off a rock that I hung my rear axle on. There was a lot of carnage in the rest of he group - broken driveshafts, slashed sidewalls, etc. I was proud to represent Liberty's that day.

You must be registered for see images attach

Your only choice is to show up for their events and run with them. Try everything they do (within reason). If you get stuck, so what - they'll help you out. Just smile and offer to throw them a strap when they need it. Unless you get face time with them and let them watch your KJ take on obstacles, they will continue to dish on you. (Even then some still will).

Run whatcha brung.
________
HONDA ELEMENT SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you guys representin. Through all of my toughest off-roading, I still find that my biggest weakness is the open diff. SFA is definitely superior overall, but there's a lot of stuff you could get away with sans an SFA if you have a locking front diff.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup it is very common to be the only KJ

phxtoad
you went on a ride with only 40 Jeeps and it was a Dealer event?
that is small
locally when just one of the clubs has a ride we get 40-50+ rigs
now we are open to all not just Jeeps
and we see it all
sad part is more and more FJ's and at best 3 KJ's and only if my wife goes

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J,

It sure seemed like a lot to me! :)

True - Tons of modified FJ's everytime we are out on the trails now. Wish there were more KJ's - but it'll never be so. And it's really a bummer that more KK's aren't being lifted. I hope they get the brake line issue resolved soon.

It's still fun to have the Jeep that no one thinks can make it. The longer I do this it's really apparent that a good driver is more important than a 'uber-capable' vehicle. Case in point: A buddy said that since he upgraded to his Rubicon, that half the time he is bored out of his mind on basic trails. In his KJ he found the same trails way more challenging.
________
Honda cbr250 specifications

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go out with some of the guys from Chrysler HQ. Most have nothing crazy - Wagoneer, TJ's, JK's, a 5.2L Dakota.

I got some good compliments my first couple of times out when I was running on the SRA's still. Even strangers would come up and comment on how well the KJ was doing. One guy said his wife saw me in the parking lot and was like "He's bringing a LIBERTY out there??".

So far so good here!

fulltimer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I belong to a couple of Jeep clubs. I'm always the lone KJ also. But at least they all know that a KJ can wheel.

Terry

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have the only KJ that gets wheeled in the whole state of Wyoming. There was a lot of doubt when I first started showing up at the local outings but, two years and several awards from local competitions later, nobody says anything negative about the KJ anymore.

I even had people cheering me on the last time I went out, as my D30A exploded on a semi-small hill.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaffer, We were trying to get a run and munchies going for some Saturday next month down by jeepdawg's place. It's in Orange County near where Orange County Choppers is. Then L O S T went down. If you are interested, pm me and I will give you my cell#.

Or if you want, I could show you a place in Indian Lake or another in Warrensburg or meet up in W'Burg if you want. Also, a place in Sacandaga and one just outside Corinth.

Dave

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've often taken my Libby on runs where I'm the only Libby there. Typically I surprise them by completing the runs with only the occasional tug and that's because I don't yet have the aggressive & taller tires I want yet. I've even followed some lifted Jeeps on 33" tires on some extreme trails. You just need to pick your lines carefully and know your limitations. There simply are some trails where you can't take a Libby.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaffer, to continue my prior post, if you want to go on a run with Adirondack Jeeps, I will go with you so you won't be the only KJ. The thing is, I won't be able to go where they will with their lifted and locked jeeps running 33" tires.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaffer, I went over to Adirondack Jeeps and looked at your thread. You got flamed pretty good. I posted in your thread and so now we will both be flamed. We'll see if they want 2 KJ's on one of their runs.

Dave

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi, i took a look at the forum you were talking about and i didn't see any flaming. Actually most people seemed to be encouraging for you to come out. Probably curious as to what the kj could do as i'm sure you are too. The only thing i don't get is the square peg thing - are they talking about your kj or the fact that the yj has square headlights?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
. The only thing i don't get is the square peg thing - are they talking about your kj or the fact that the yj has square headlights?

When he said "square peg" he was referring to the old saying "square peg won't fit in a round hole" ......like the KJ won't fit in with the other jeeps.
We'll see what happens. They said there was a run coming up next month and the next easy one was in the spring. (I guess since I told them I was not lifted)

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've even followed some lifted Jeeps on 33" tires on some extreme trails. You just need to pick your lines carefully and know your limitations.

And that right there is the thing. The crazy lifted SFA wranglers and CJ's can take those ridiculous what's-the-hardest-line-I-can-take lines where often, a libby can take the same trail, if they just take the easier line.

Lucky for me, I've never been into rock-crawling-- never even was interested. Don't need the body damage, thank you very much. I just want to go places where most vehicles can't get to. The libby does fine for me.