Only 3 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ds928

Reaction score
Hi,

Our 2002 KJ is only driving 3 wheels.
In 2 wheel drive it won't turn to the left very well, it feels like th left wheel is grabbing and letting go.

Looked at the suspension tonight, there doesn'r seem to be anything broken. I put it on axel stands and into Drive, then when I put it into 4 wheel drive there is a loud clunk from I the front and only the rear and right front wheels are rotating.

Any thoughts on what's need to fix this?

Thanks!

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One. To put in in 4 wheel drive all wheels need to be spinning the same. Or at a stand still. Two. Unless you have lockers a 4x4 isn't really a 4x4. The front I'd an open differential. Meaning only one wheel will have power at a time.
When you get the hopping feeling when you turn in 4x2 mode. It's telling me that your transfer case hasn't shifted back from 4x4 mode.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Our 2002 KJ is only driving 3 wheels.
In 2 wheel drive it won't turn to the left very well, it feels like th left wheel is grabbing and letting go.

Looked at the suspension tonight, there doesn'r seem to be anything broken. I put it on axel stands and into Drive, then when I put it into 4 wheel drive there is a loud clunk from I the front and only the rear and right front wheels are rotating.

Any thoughts on what's need to fix this?

Thanks!
With open diffs your only 2wd when you shift into 4wd.With the OE rear trashloc your at 2.5wd.To have true 4wd you need to add lockers front and rear.

Ds928

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, wasn't aware of that.
Another question though. Still on the axel stands, engine off, in 2WD, if I rotate either of the front wheels the drive shaft and prop shaft back to the transfer case also rotate, is that correct, or does that point to something in the transfer case not being fully disengaged and therefore causing the car to understear/crab/hop when driving and turning?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, wasn't aware of that.
Another question though. Still on the axel stands, engine off, in 2WD, if I rotate either of the front wheels the drive shaft and prop shaft back to the transfer case also rotate, is that correct, or does that point to something in the transfer case not being fully disengaged and therefore causing the car to understear/crab/hop when driving and turning?

That's what it should do. Front hubs are locked all the time. Front driveline is disengaged in the tcase but everything rotates back to the tcase all the time.

Ds928

Reaction score
That's what it should do. Front hubs are locked all the time. Front driveline is disengaged in the tcase but everything rotates back to the tcase all the time.

Thank You!

Any ideas on what my problem is, or what else I can do to troubleshoot it?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to diagnose without being there. Just from your description of noise from the front end, I might look at wheel bearings, CV joints, and the joints on the front driveshaft.