Okay who has Daystar 2.5 with 235 85 16 tires ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lusliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for those who have Daystar 2.5 with 235 85 16 tires? This is a CITY driver road driven. Its a 2003 Limited.A go to work vehicle .Would love input from those who have.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not going to get anything positive. Just giving you a heads up. I myself don't have it so I won't give my input on those lifts but I know many here have their own horror stories they can share.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for those who have Daystar 2.5 with 235 85 16 tires? This is a CITY driver road driven. Its a 2003 Limited.A go to work vehicle .Would love input from those who have.

Doesn't matter where you drive it at all, not going to work and I'll explain why.
2003, now 10 years old, your springs have sagged over an inch from new stock height, just a fact of life. So you have a Daystar 2.5 inch lift on a suspension that is sagged an inch so you have 1.5 inches of true/real lift. To run a 32 inch tall tire you need 3.5 to 4 inches of lift . You're 3 inches short , plus the fact it would be a dog on the highway and even suck more gas around town.
Daystar and sagged out suspension you may get by with 245-75-16s
Sorry just the way it is
Most all (98%) that have installed a Daystar or any other spacer lift soon swap them out due to bad ride etc and thats mainly on brand new KJs/KKs
Full suspension kit / regear / 235-85-16s = fun daily driver

Lusliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced Springs and complete strut assemblies.other jeep forums are more positive on this.just do not understand the negativeness .I guess till you have done it oonly those know for sure.....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On a new vehicle sure some do it, but is it a good choice? No :badidea:
So you've replaced the springs, you are still dealing with a 2.5 inch lift and trying to fit a 32 inch tall tire.
Not going to work as you need 4 inches of lift, trust me we on here or any KJ forum do not just make things up. Its been tried over the years several times by people who stated "I'll show you" and then come back with " guess I was wrong"
And that's not even getting into the fact the motor or transmission will like you much with 32s due to running below a good RPM range, trans running hotter etc
I know of no KJ related forum that you'll get any different information

I have had the "enjoyment " of removing a few spacer lifts and every owner was so glad to get rid of them

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to see a trend on here and L.O.S.T when it comes to someone asking about a spacer lift than defending it when they don't get the positive answer they want.....

Sometimes all you can do is warn someone. From there it's all up to them to listen and if not you just got to let them learn their own mistakes.

Just know Lusliberty, we are not here to judge. You won't get any "I told you so's". this forum will help when you are ready, when you come back with issues and have questions on getting a full lift to replace the daystar and the issues with the tires being way to large for what you have.

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it!

Replaced Springs and complete strut assemblies.other jeep forums are more positive on this.just do not understand the negativeness .I guess till you have done it oonly those know for sure.....

I had a Daystar 2.5" lift on my 2005 KJ and ran 245/70R16's on it Rubbed at full lock both ways, rode like a lumber wagon and sounded like it had arthritis it creaked and groaned all of the time. Other than that it was really great. I simply did not know better, I have just got the rear changed to Ironman springs and Bilstein shocks and the difference is HUGE. I know for sure.:smokin:

Lusliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay just after viewing images of lifted liberty s with 235 85 16 tires like the look.guess we are gonna need go with the 245 75 16 tires. I was hoping we d her from individuals who had done it and from personal experience explained the pro s and cons

Armysniper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LusLiberty, when I boght my 2004 from my mom with 9x,*** some mile and it was a mall and church going jeep lol. It was at 17" in the front and 17.5 in the back, mind you never tow anything but her grand kids in the back seat. I got it and I read a lot in diferent forum's, and in this one the guys are very help full. They might tell you what you don't want to hear. But you will end up with a good lift and won't have to worry about sagging in 7-10, 000 miles. I listened to Tom and his knowledge help me get the best lift I could afford. And I'm happy with the results. JBA is the spot for kj's no doubt.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
okay just after viewing images of lifted liberty s with 235 85 16 tires like the look.guess we are gonna need go with the 245 75 16 tires. I was hoping we d her from individuals who had done it and from personal experience explained the pro s and cons

I think we have explained the Pros and Cons haven't we?
Many of us have been on here for years, myself since very early 2005, on LOSTJEEPS since September 04 , so have seen every variation of lift/tire size etc tried and have a whole book on what combos work, what don't etc
If you do go with a Daystar lift here are two things to watch and well do
First install Teraflex bumpstops in the front, they will help keep the UBJs going for a while longer . Then just keep checking the ball joints since it will wear them faster than with a normal full spring lift
Good luck :waytogo:

Lusliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hubby and I discussed looks like 245 75 16 decisions decisions BFG at or General grabber at

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
BFGs are over rated, 20 years ago they were a good tire
now there are much better ones out there for the same money or less

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll find a lot of varying opinions on tires too... I'm one of the ones who do like the BFG's. They served me well for many miles on my last couple of vehicles. I also like the Treadwright version of them that I run now - they are louder and softer (so they will unfortunately wear faster), but they have been on my KJ for over a year and have over 20K miles on them. They handle well on all kinds of terrain (at least, they do for me).

Much like everything else, it's all in personal preference. I hope you get the help that you're looking for here. You'll get good advice. :)

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't like my BFGs, but they were on a '90 B250. Haven't had any since.

I really do like the Yokohama Geolandar A-T/S I have on the Liberty and liked the H-T/S I had on my '93 Bravada (AWD). Wear seems to be good, traction is excellent.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm liking my Definity A/T2's that I have on mine in 245/75/16. Handle well on all terrains that I've put her through and for the most part don't even need 4WD. Their a good tire from Pep boys and they're made by Cooper.

Nightowl007

Reaction score
I have ran several sets of Mastercraft Courser C/T's on everything from my 2003 Ram Hemi to my 2007.5 Ram Diesel. I have had great wear and traction with these and they were less expensive than just about every other option in my area. They have sales on these from time to time such as buy 3 get the 4th one free to a $75 Visa rewards card when purchasing 4 tires. And they are made by Cooper, which I ran Cooper Cobra GT's back when I had a sports car...great tires, great wear, great traction wet or dry.

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DayStar KJ09126BK Suspension Combo Kit Black 3 in ft RR Lift | eBay

good or rubbish? i know i should change up my springs and im completely fine with that. just curious if there are any more parts i should think about

ps i know it requires an alignment after lift install

5 speed standard 2003 jeep liberty kj w/offroad package
2xx,xxxK's

sitting 18 3/4 front
sitting 18 1/4 rear
from center tire to top of wheel well

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
DayStar KJ09126BK Suspension Combo Kit Black 3 in ft RR Lift | eBay

good or rubbish? i know i should change up my springs and im completely fine with that. just curious if there are any more parts i should think about

ps i know it requires an alignment after lift install

5 speed standard 2003 jeep liberty kj w/offroad package
2xx,xxxK's

sitting 18 3/4 front
sitting 18 1/4 rear
from center tire to top of wheel well

Want the truth? Rubbish
You have a 10 year old KJ that has springs already sagged below new
Installing a spacer lift will give you nothing but problems
PLUS
by the time you get it installed with longer rear shocks etc you're almost up to where a full spring lift is cost wise

Members online

No members online now.