Ok, This is a strange one...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never saw this before...Been using four wheel hi a lot lately due to snow, and used 4wd Lo the other day. When I shifted back into 4wd Hi from 4wd Lo the Part Time indicator light did not light, but when I shifted into 2wd it came on...the exact opposite of normal. No amount of fiddling seems to fix it, even tho 2wd or 4wd operates normally. Haven't tried cycling the battery yet, but was thinking the 4wd Lo use might have buggered the switch link somehow. Any ideas before I tear into it?

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course...why wouldn't that be the case...that's why they're called idiot lights - hehe. Altho not much of a confidence builder tho when the thing wiggs out for no real reason. I'll try disconnecting the battery for a computer reset just to see if that has any effect. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago. It's the 4WD position sensor on the transfer case. You'll have to replace it. There is a HOW TO somewhere on here if you look for it.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll take a look today...:grd:

Ok, all fixed...took out the console - which needed cleaning and XM wire routing anyway, but only disconnected the sensor cable, then tapped on the sensor (The old fashioned way to fix something, especially for those of us who grew up on tube tv's). Plugged the cable back on and did a test...works now. No new part, for now. Next time I think I have a unique problem I should search the forums...already detailed elsewhere. But thanks for the repair lead.:waytogo:

Last edited: