SWITCHED SWITCH???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was doing some light wheeling last weekend, nothing crazy, mostly just loose sand and hills. so I clicked the t/c into 4 hi. upon returning to the road, I clicked the t/c back into 2wd, and noticed that the light on the dash now said PART TIME, which it should read when I was in 4 hi. I did hit a few small branches and other non rock objects, but NOTHING that would concern me. plus my Lib has full length H.D. skid pans, so I doubt much could get to anything vital. also, something that happened a couple of weeks back, something started to melt the vinyl shift boot on the t/c selector. where something like brake / carb cleaner had spilled on the boot. but the only time I ever had those in the car was in a box on the back seat floor. so that doesn't make any sense. I have some "Liquid Electrical Tape" (liquid vinyl) that I am contemplating using as a repair, but I do not know how to stop the attack on the shift boot prior to repairing it. so I need some ideas on both troubles, please. Thanks

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was doing some light wheeling last weekend, nothing crazy, mostly just loose sand and hills. so I clicked the t/c into 4 hi. upon returning to the road, I clicked the t/c back into 2wd, and noticed that the light on the dash now said PART TIME, which it should read when I was in 4 hi. I did hit a few small branches and other non rock objects, but NOTHING that would concern me. plus my Lib has full length H.D. skid pans, so I doubt much could get to anything vital. also, something that happened a couple of weeks back, something started to melt the vinyl shift boot on the t/c selector. where something like brake / carb cleaner had spilled on the boot. but the only time I ever had those in the car was in a box on the back seat floor. so that doesn't make any sense. I have some "Liquid Electrical Tape" (liquid vinyl) that I am contemplating using as a repair, but I do not know how to stop the attack on the shift boot prior to repairing it. so I need some ideas on both troubles, please. Thanks
Those switches are notorious for going bad and reading the wrong position. Get you a new (mopar) one and get swapped out. I’ve always done mine from the top. Others say it can be done from below the jeep with the right amount of wiggling. Both my 04 and 06 needed the switch replaced at some point in the past 2 years.

There are 4 pins on that connector and in the switch, the contacts get gummed up and the contacts don’t hit all the way. Did manage to take one apart to see the action. Not worth the effort to degunk it, as it can’t be sealed back up correctly.

Several threads on here about swapping it out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.