Ok, tell me why I shouldn't...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal.

I've got a 2009 JK Rubicon on order, but got to thinking.

What would it take to put my '02 KJ up on 35's?

I could probably get the TJ D44's with Ox lockers for ~$5k +/- a few.

Atlas 2spd for ~$2300 or 4spd for ~$3000.

I'm assuming I'd need new driveshafts, but not a clue how much they'd run for the KJ. Would probably need custom shafts, huh?

Any stabs at how much I could get it done for?

$12k? $15k including wheels/tires?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For starters you might check the SFA forum over on LOST. I think the ones that have been done already have been in the $12 - 15K range. I know Troy (tjkj2002) is getting everything lined up to do his and he might have a better answer for you.

Good luck!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal.

I've got a 2009 JK Rubicon on order, but got to thinking.

What would it take to put my '02 KJ up on 35's?

I could probably get the TJ D44's with Ox lockers for ~$5k +/- a few.

Atlas 2spd for ~$2300 or 4spd for ~$3000.

I'm assuming I'd need new driveshafts, but not a clue how much they'd run for the KJ. Would probably need custom shafts, huh?

Any stabs at how much I could get it done for?

$12k? $15k including wheels/tires?
Custom belly pan = $600-$800
TJ long arms,F/R = $1400-$2300(RE/Nth degree)
BroncoII steering box = $300(remaned)
Front coilovers(since using TJ axles) = $1000+
Driveshafts,F/R = $750-$1000
Steering linkage+trac bars = $500-$1000
Making the speedo work again = $400
Wheels/tires = $1000-$2000
MISC parts(brakes lines,nuts/bolts) = $500-$1000
Labor(unless you fab and install all yourself) = $3000-$8500(AllJ's price is $8500)

That's just the start.The 3 SFA's from AllJ's ran about $24,500,I'm going to get mine done for about $18,000(just parts) since all fab work and install labor is free.It's not cheep to SFA a KJ THE RIGHT AND SAFE WAY.

Oh and the AtlasII will run you about $2600 and the 4-speed is closer to $3400 when all said and done.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I will be the one to tell you why not...

because 15k in mods to a vehicle that cant be more than 8k is plain stupid. not to mention how many miles you may have on the engine.

its cool, but damn, thats pricey

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya but most of the people doing SFAs on their rigs will most likely drive it till the engine dies and replace the engine with a 4.7L maybe or another 3.7, least thats what i would do

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

because 15k in mods to a vehicle that cant be more than 8k is plain stupid. not to mention how many miles you may have on the engine.

Doing a SFA swap on a KJ that is already paid for is way cheaper then buying a TJ and building it.

Yes my SFA is going to be about $18,000,but if I bought a TJ and did the same mods to it that my KJ is getting I would still spend the same $18,000 in mods plus have the cost of the TJ to deal with.So it's cheaper for me to do a SFA swap then buy a TJ and mod it the way I want it.So it si not stupid it's being cost effective.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You have to decide why you're doing it.

To say that putting 15k in mods to a car worth 8k isn't necessarily stupid.

Read any 4wheeler magazine, and you've got a $3000 metal bucket with four seats in it, and $12,000 worth of aftermarket mods-- maybe not even including a crate engine.

In fact, depending on how you look at it, the lower the worth of the unmodded vehicle, the more sense an expensive mod makes.

For instance, taking a junkyard-bound vehicle worth a couple of hundred, and putting $10,000 into mods, engine and suspension is a worthy project. Taking a relatively new, street-worthy vehicle that still has a manufacturers warranty that might sell for $15,000 is a chancy vehicle to add $15,000 more into. If it were me, I'd wait until my vehicle were worth much less than $8k before I do mods. I'd wait until it was beyond sellable.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2. I was just telling my wife today how much I enjoy working on my Jeep since the warranty ran out and it's 5+ years old. I can do AN-Y-THING I want now, only limited by my budget.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points. I think I could deal with $18k or so, but that $24,500 figure looks scary. That's almost as much as I'll have in my Rubicon that I've got on order. Granted it won't be on 35's from the factory, but it can be for a few $k more.

This is something that I doubt I'll really do, but wanted to know if what I had thought of was realistic.

Hmmm....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is that? Does the KJ need an adapter or something?
You may need one of two spacers,depending on which output shaft you have on the 45RFE,there are 3 different ones.And you need the cable shifters which are about $200 more to the AtlasII price.Then while your paying that much might as well spend the extra $80 for the 32-spline front output shaft upgrade over the standard 26-spline front output shaft,the rear is always a 32-spline output shaft.It also depends on which yokes you want,some will add to the cost also.

Latest posts

Members online