Ok NOW I'm done adding lights under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added 2 pieces of 30 LEDs along with a switch.
It's like day light under the hood now hump.gif
The flash on the camera didn't even come on!

You must be registered for see images

I might add a bit more on both sides just for fun. I've got some 6LED strips I'm putting together this week.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that would be cooler is if you used a mercury tilt switch like a factory underhood light so they come on automatically when you raise the hood.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the light shine through the sides of the hood when closed in the dark? I think that would look pretty cool to see drivin down the street.

Is it legal? Probably not but still cool.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its not legal here, a nice stiff fine too for underbody lighting. Yeah i know its not underbody mounted in this case, but if its bright enough to light up underneath they would probably write the ticket for it anyway.

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might add a bit more on both sides just for fun. I've got some 6LED strips I'm putting together this week.

That would be pretty cool, I think I might do this too. Did you use one of those add a fuse wires to power it?

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be pretty cool, I think I might do this too. Did you use one of those add a fuse wires to power it?
no fuse, just wired through a switch directly to the battery. Not sure if I'll add a fuse yet, haven't figured out what size I would need. The amperage draw is between .026 and .041 amps per strip depending on the length. The average strip is around .47 watts, 12V DC

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get something small, even a 1 amp fuse is a lot better than not having any fuse at all!!

Although you have to go glass fuse to get one you can go with less than an amp, 250mA (1/4a), or 500mA (1/2a). The smallest i have been able to find in ATC is 1 amp.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
very nice lighting

Good Job! So much easier to check the oil now! My kj also needs some under the hood as well as some on front & rear floor areas. Chrysler sure cheaped out on the lighting on most models yet had the wiring in place. I wonder if the the new KK models are also short of interior/hood lighting?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Good Job! So much easier to check the oil now! My kj also needs some under the hood as well as some on front & rear floor areas. Chrysler sure cheaped out on the lighting on most models yet had the wiring in place. I wonder if the the new KK models are also short of interior/hood lighting?

The KK models are also short on hood struts.... yup... prop rod.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
yeiks

The KK models are also short on hood struts.... yup... prop rod.
Prop rod how antique...in 2009.
If I ever buy another Jeep the first thing is what kind of 4x4 modes and what models have proper seats and lighting...LOL:rolleyes:
Maybe consider a Hummer or Land Rover? Nah-:)Still like my 04 Rocky Mountain Kj!:cool:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prop rod how antique...in 2009.
If I ever buy another Jeep the first thing is what kind of 4x4 modes and what models have proper seats and lighting...LOL:rolleyes:
Maybe consider a Hummer or Land Rover? Nah-:)Still like my 04 Rocky Mountain Kj!:cool:

have you seen the LEDs I have INSIDE the Jeep? One strip of 6LEDs on the columns behind the front seats.

You must be registered for see images attach

and last but not least...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that would be cooler is if you used a mercury tilt switch like a factory underhood light so they come on automatically when you raise the hood.

Just in case you're not being funny, a murcury tilt switch would be a Bad Idea on a vehicle. What if you park it on a steep hill?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...you are all lit up.

Now, we all need better back-up lights. At least I do anyway.

Dave

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...you are all lit up.

Now, we all need better back-up lights. At least I do anyway.

Dave

how about a strip of 60 LEDs across the rear glass rofl2.gif

I'm pretty sure Mercury switches are banned in most place, besides, it's pretty easy for my finger to press the button to turn the lights on ;)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case you're not being funny, a murcury tilt switch would be a Bad Idea on a vehicle. What if you park it on a steep hill?

You plan on parking on hills that are steep enough to trip a tilt switch?? :eek:

XJ's use tilt switches, seems to work great and we all know they can climb hills steeper than what a kj can. :D

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You plan on parking on hills that are steep enough to trip a tilt switch?? :eek:

XJ's use tilt switches, seems to work great and we all know they can climb hills steeper than what a kj can. :D
..and the draw would be so minimal the lights could stay on for a week. They last 2 days on a 9v battery

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I guess it depends on how you configure the tilt switch. I suppose if you make it so it doesn't trigger until the hood is all the way up, that would work.