Ok, Got a Wierd One - Turn Signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Got a Weird One - Turn Signal

This may help others...

So the other day the left turn signal quits working, right worked fine. When I say "didn't work" that's it...no fast flash like a bulb was out...dead.

So I tear apart front and rear left light assemblies...bulbs are fine, connections are clean (no burnt sockets either.). Then decide to check the flasher unit....of course the geniuses at Jeep put it behind the radio inside the emergency flasher switch. I take the dash plate off, take the radio out, then uninstall the flasher switch. I whack it, plug it back in and it works.

I'll report back in if it acts up again...but, has anyone seen this before?

Last edited:

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I know the website flipped out for a few days, and some comments got deleted in the mayhem, but thought an update was in order; so far the whacked flasher is still works after my "adjustment" of it.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the term...sounds like something an engineer would say while holding the "adjustment repair" hammer. :angry94:

Murphy says: If it works don't fix it. But, if fixing something and it won't budge, force it; If it breaks it needed replacing anyway."

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happen from time to time with relay. They stick somewhere for no real reason and wont move any more. Sometime they just got magnetized over time, sometime carbon is building on the N/O - N/C contact. They are weird little piece of hardware but I love them :) don`t want intelligent relay to replace them :( I hate programming them!

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same happen after putting updated LED in the rear turnsignals. Took 3 dyas and $200 in parts to figure out it was the flasher relay. I went through 2 of them before i yanked the LED's and put in normal bulbs.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting LED's had any affect considering they draw less power. Must have had something to do with an electronics mismatch...altho burning out the flasher seems odd considering it [should be] designed to handle extra load (trailers, etc.) Then again, maybe it's just a weak design.

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same happen after putting updated LED in the rear turnsignals. Took 3 dyas and $200 in parts to figure out it was the flasher relay. I went through 2 of them before i yanked the LED's and put in normal bulbs.

Just a thought.....did you have load resistors in line when you put the LED's in? as well as the recomended Solid State flasher?

Members online

No members online now.