Oil pressure light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tscott1224

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L....

Ok so here's the story. I went to tow a car the other day and I pull up to where the car is, put the truck in park and the oil light comes on. Great, I am thinking all is lost. So I look around and found on the forums here that the Oil pressure sending unit is bad. I look, its all covered in oil inside and out. So I go to napa and buy what they say is a new one. They did ask me a question. The one for the dummy light or the one for the oil pressure gauge. I figured cause the light is what is turning on this is the sensor for the dummy light. I get it home, install it start the truck, everything looks good so I turn the car truck, take a shower then jump in it and start driving off and the oil light comes back on. Now when its at idle the light is off and only when its driving the light comes on over 2 or 3k and will go on and off as the speed changes. I am not very happy at the moment, but is this just the wrong sensor. Do I need the other one? The one that I took out is identical looking to the one that I put in. I also read something about clearing the codes and it may start working, but I think that it probably a load of garbage. I was also thinking maybe the connections on the plug are still crudded up, cause I didn't clean it.... Any help would be appreciated.

tscott1224

Reaction score
I just went outside and reved the car up and down, the light does not come on when the car is sitting still. Its only when its driving. Does anyone know where I can get the correct switch? :pp:

tscott1224

Reaction score
I didn't think they did. I will call the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get one. I would love to have a actual pressure gauge too, may be a future mod.

tscott1224

Reaction score
I just went out and messed with the jeep more. I have not gotten a new sensor yet, but I am confused by something. The sensor may be working. This is the one I installed: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=op6185&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

So the light comes on only when I am moving after the car shifts. From high RPM down to almost idle. It will come on for a a little while and if you continue to coast it goes back out. It seems like it thinks the pressure is too low on the shifts but fine on the rev up and at idle, and if I am sitting still and revving the car up and down. I am hoping nothing is really wrong.

I don't know if this is a dumb idea but I was honestly thinking about just installing a electronic sender and pressure gauge to the cab and leaving this sensor out all together and ignoring the light. Will it cause any codes leaving it out? I know it will be a pain to get a sender in there also, so this is likely not the route I will go. I will probably just get the dealer sender this weekend.

Thanks again guys. As always you have been very helpful!

Last edited:

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and messed with the jeep more. I have not gotten a new sensor yet, but I am confused by something. The sensor may be working. This is the one I installed: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=op6185&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

So the light comes on only when I am moving after the car shifts. From high RPM down to almost idle. It will come on for a a little while and if you continue to coast it goes back out. It seems like it thinks the pressure is too low on the shifts but fine on the rev up and at idle, and if I am sitting still and revving the car up and down. I am hoping nothing is really wrong.

I don't know if this is a dumb idea but I was honestly thinking about just installing a electronic sender and pressure gauge to the cab and leaving this sensor out all together and ignoring the light. Will it cause any codes leaving it out? I know it will be a pain to get a sender in there also, so this is likely not the route I will go. I will probably just get the dealer sender this weekend.

Thanks again guys. As always you have been very helpful!

the 2 switches are the same
they are the same part number, the parts guy should have seen that

Oil Pressure Gauge Switch
Part Number: ECH OP6185
Product Line: Echlin Ignition Parts

Oil Pressure Light Switch
Part Number: ECH OP6185
Product Line: Echlin Ignition Parts

tscott1224

Reaction score
Yeah, if you search there site there is actually about 5 different ones. All with the same part number. I am still thinking that the replacement one is messed up just because of whats happening. The old one was actually working more or less properly, just was leaking a little. I am not really worried about my oil pressure, just don't want the light coming on and off on slow downs. I am getting the dealer switch on friday.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 5.7 doge a few years back start doing the
exact same thing at about 100k
found out it was burning oil
Have you checked to be sure you have oil?
I would get a cheep "after market" gauge and check
to make sure you have good psi
Not sure what it should be on a 3.7 but I would
guess 15 at low rpm and 30+ at higher rpm

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 5.7 doge a few years back start doing the
exact same thing at about 100k
found out it was burning oil
Have you checked to be sure you have oil?
I would get a cheep "after market" gauge and check
to make sure you have good psi
Not sure what it should be on a 3.7 but I would
guess 15 at low rpm and 30+ at higher rpm

X2
Maybe the new unit is actually working.
The psi specs are on here somewhere...

tscott1224

Reaction score
Will do. I would rather not waste any more money. I will buy a manual gauge ASAP. I am not really driving it at all at the moment till I figure it out. The oil is full. I check it weekly. I have a harbor freight not that far away.

tscott1224

Reaction score
This is fixed. I bought the cheap oil pressure gauge from Harbor Freight for $25. Hooked it up and checked the pressure. It was at 80 - 110 at idle, when I started it, while it was like 10 degrees out. As it warmed up it went down to about 35-40psi so I knew everything was fine. I went to the local dealer and bought a mopar replacement sensor and put it in. It fixed everything. The only thing that really makes me mad is that if I called the dealer first it would have cost $47, but instead I got the sensor from napa for $62, and they wont take back a used part, even if its defective, well live and learn. I am just happy that there is nothing really wrong with the engine. :D

Also while I was working on the truck I cleaned the Idle Airflow Sensor because when I was taking short trips or letting the car sit and then moving it, it would stall going back down to idle. Man that thing was dirty. It was kinda scary when it was re-learning the idle but all is well again.

Thanks again for all the help!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is fixed. I bought the cheap oil pressure gauge from Harbor Freight for $25. Hooked it up and checked the pressure. It was at 80 - 110 at idle, when I started it, while it was like 10 degrees out. As it warmed up it went down to about 35-40psi so I knew everything was fine. I went to the local dealer and bought a mopar replacement sensor and put it in. It fixed everything. The only thing that really makes me mad is that if I called the dealer first it would have cost $47, but instead I got the sensor from napa for $62, and they wont take back a used part, even if its defective, well live and learn. I am just happy that there is nothing really wrong with the engine. :D

Also while I was working on the truck I cleaned the Idle Airflow Sensor because when I was taking short trips or letting the car sit and then moving it, it would stall going back down to idle. Man that thing was dirty. It was kinda scary when it was re-learning the idle but all is well again.

Thanks again for all the help!
Can't tell you how many times I say only OEM sensors,most times same price or cheaper then the junk aftermarket ones but no one listens.

Glad you got it fixed.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too many to count but yet someone after reading this will still do it.