Oil options for 90k+ motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... $.50 more for WIX filters?? Dude you gotta tell us where you shop cause your always posting super cheap prices.

Around here the WIX filter at the nearest NAPA store is twice the cost of any other filter i can buy.
Napa,where else would I buy a Napa Gold filter? To think about it I have never really paid retail for anything at the Napa I go to all the time.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa,where else would I buy a Napa Gold filter? To think about it I have never really paid retail for anything at the Napa I go to all the time.

I do have a small lightly used NAPA gold filter shop that I run out of the back of my Jeep. Unfortunately, I only get new shipments in once ever three thousand miles or 3 months, which ever comes first. Would you like to be placed on the waiting list?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a small lightly used NAPA gold filter shop that I run out of the back of my Jeep. Unfortunately, I only get new shipments in once ever three thousand miles or 3 months, which ever comes first. Would you like to be placed on the waiting list?
No thanks I'll drive the 1/2 mile to the Napa here and pay the $3 for the filter and be on my way.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... $.50 more for WIX filters?? Dude you gotta tell us where you shop cause your always posting super cheap prices.

Around here the WIX filter at the nearest NAPA store is twice the cost of any other filter i can buy.

I pay the same price for a WIX filter as I would a Purolater. Since the advance around home is almost always out of the purolater filters for the hemi and I-6(use same filter) Ive started getting wix filters from napa. Nothing expensive about it. Thinking about just using WIX in all of the Jeeps. Our napa is kinda a small town auto parts store so I like giving them my business anyway.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I pay around $5 for a Pureolator filter, but ususally I get 5 quarts (Castrol GTX) of oil and the Pureolater filter for $12 at Pep Boys...

MickityMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And no, for the most part, it's NOT that big of a deal what you use. It's just that those of us who are ultra ****-retentive (like ThunderbirdJunkie) prefer to use a higher end oil because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. And let's face it, this is by no means a shot at any of you guys on here, but it would seem that a good portion of the posters are in the ultra ****-retentive category. ...Which I suppose is pretty much what one would expect on a Jeep forum in the first place. :)

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is a thread from over at Moparts. This place has some good prices, and all you have to do is join Moparts (a free forum, just like this one).

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4344329&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Note that I've never ordered from them, as I work part-time at the local NAPA, but thought I'd share the info. Hopefully it benefits someone.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No thanks I'll drive the 1/2 mile to the Napa here and pay the $3 for the filter and be on my way.

Your getting a better than 50% discount then if your buying near me... That same filter here is $6.88 i about shat myself when i went to Napa to buy a gallon of Zerex and found out the price on an oil filter. I did end up buying Castrol GTX from them as they were two bucks cheaper than Wal-Mart because of a sale going on. But i bought my good ole' Fram filter for $3.97 instead.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But i bought my good ole' Fram filter for $3.97 instead.

I may be biased, working at NAPA, but I'd use one of NAPA's cheaper filters before I'd use a FRAM. For the 3.7, the Gold is 1516, the NASCAR Select is 91516, and the Silver is 21516.

At the NAPA where I work, they have a "Filter & Tool Sale" every Feb, where you can buy NAPA Gold filters and NAPA Hand Tools below cost. (I stock up for the year, as it costs less than I can usually buy w/ my employee discount). Ask your local NAPA if they have anything similar.

Also, $3 for a NAPA Gold does sound pretty low, even for a shop account. Even if it's a 1516MP. (dunno)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your getting a better than 50% discount then if your buying near me... That same filter here is $6.88 i about shat myself when i went to Napa to buy a gallon of Zerex and found out the price on an oil filter. I did end up buying Castrol GTX from them as they were two bucks cheaper than Wal-Mart because of a sale going on. But i bought my good ole' Fram filter for $3.97 instead.
Fram filters here at wallmart are $2.50-$3.I pay $3 for the Napa Gold filters at Napa for the KJ or $5 for the Purolator PureOne filter at Advance Auto.Though for the next oil change I opted to try the Mobil1 filter,got it for $8 at Advance and going to try it,I always go and buy a filter and oil right after I change my oil for the next oil change.

The guy's at the Napa I always go to pretty much give me parts at cost plus tax,they all now me and I've spent plenty there in the last 2 years and send everyone there for parts also if asked.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well.. I will stick with my Fram, i have been using them on every vehicle i owned since i got my drivers license, and my Dad was using them before me. Can't say i have ever seen a failure due to one, and never experienced any problems myself either.

Like i said our minivan went 200k on Fram filters, it was a 60k vehicle when we bought it, so i put 140k on it using Fram's, thats almost 47 oil changes right there on one vehicle using Fram. Also i sold the van to my sister when i bought the KJ, and since then she has pushed it another 6k and Fram both times there as well. No knock, no noise, just a good solid motor with regular maintenance. Pontiac 3.4L V6.

My old S10 went 230k on the original motor, all maintenance done by me, all Fram oil filters.

Like i always say if you got something you like using then use it, for me that's Fram.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil/filter threads. You gotta love them. Everybody has their favorites.

Anyway, I have used many different brands of oil and filters over the years (yes even the dreded Fram) with no issues although I have not used them in a long time. I have never trashed a engine due to oil/filter brands.

Right now I am using Valvoline 5w30 Supersyn and Mopar filters. I am using the Mopar filters because I have a bunch and still have 7/70,000 drivetrain warranty. When I'm done with the warranty and run out of the filters I have I will probably go to the NAPA ones.

OP, I would just use a quality syn and a NAPA filter if it was me. Change the oil/filter at regular intervals between 3-4,000 miles and don't worry about it.

Just my thoughts on it.

Dave

MickityMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though I'm new here, I'm getting the impression that oil/filter debates are taken as seriously as a heart attack. Though I have to say, out of everything I've read so far, this...

Change the oil/filter at regular intervals between 3-4,000 miles and don't worry about it.

...makes the most sense, IMHO. The only time I can see oil and filter making a difference is if you push it past the regular intervals. And why in God's name would anyone push it past the regular intervals?

Latest posts

Members online