Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidT

Reaction score
My KJ 04 147,000 miles Just started leaking oil, its pretty bad too. It is leaking on the passenger side and hitting the catalytic converter. I can't really tell where it's coming from but there is a lot near this plug. The oil light has also came on the dash.

here are some photos from underneath

You must be registered for see images attach

any ideas where its leaking from? and how to fix it.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Valve cover leaks at the rear corner
easy fix

** always say left or right side when you are sitting in the vehicle , i.e. passenger side is the right side , left side is the drivers side ( in the US)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Oil light ON !!!= eek!
Make sure you immediately check the Oil Levels and keep it topped up, until the leak can be fixed!

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not the valve cover gaskets, check to ensure the oil fill tube is tightened appropriately. I just experienced both of these leaks this past year.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look terrible to me. I don't think I'd bother with anything except make sure you use very good oil and keep up the 3k OCI.

I've heard the Seafoam works if you put a half bottle in about 500 mile before an oil change. You can run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil with 4 quarts of 5-w30 next oil change and do a shorter (maybe 1-1.5k) OCI.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It is hard to tell by the photo, but if there are major build ups, towards the middle bottom there...How deep is it?
A small plastic scraper will give you an idea....and a way to safely remove some of it, as a test anyways.
I think I would also be temped just to keep changing the oil every 3 k and consider using a full synthetic if you are not already.
The full syn's have much better cleaning properties, than regular dino oil.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you KNOW you don't have a coolant leak I'd fill with a high quality synthetic and change (with filter) at 700-800 miles then refill with synthetic and keep changing at 3000 miles. Do you do a lot of short trips without getting the engine up to full operating temp?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Eek.

Just pulled my valve cover off like 5k miles ago (125k) and mine doesn't look half that bad.

I guess that's good news for me? :blah:

Yep mine at 197,000 didn't look like that, was still nice and clean really

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep mine at 197,000 didn't look like that, was still nice and clean really

Actually looking back at the picture i have on my phone (I took it from a pretty bad angle to tell how clean it is)...it actually looks spotless. All you can really see is the front corner and there's just oil there. No sludge.

I don't use synthetic by the way. I just change with conventional oil every 3k. I'm a firm believer that so long as you change the conventional every 3k, it'll stay clean. I'm usually pretty good with my changes so I just stick with it.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use synthetic by the way. I just change with conventional oil every 3k. I'm a firm believer that so long as you change the conventional every 3k, it'll stay clean. I'm usually pretty good with my changes so I just stick with it.

I agree with that - especially if you are not have a sludge issue. But for a person that is having a sludge issue (seeping coolant, condensation build up, issues specific to a particular engine) It can't hurt and can only help.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard was it to get the valve cover off?

It's KINDA a pain. Moving everything out of the way is the hard part. Other than that, there is a bolt that's too close to the firewall that's fairly annoying too. Other than those two issues, a couple of hours and lots of curse words should have the cover off.

DavidT

Reaction score
It took me 2 hours to get it off and 1 hour to clean the valve cover gasket off. 30 minutes was trying to break that stupid plastic piece that holds the two metal radiator hose for the heater. Probably about 2 hours to put it all back together. It was smoking a lot but it has went away. I hope that was the leak.

I'm going to switch to synthetic oil. For the most part I drive my car to work and back which is 37 miles each way and every month I have to go out of town which his a 520 mile round trip.

About 8 months ago it did over heat once but I pulled over immediately, water pump went out.

Edit... Jeep is running really good now. I dumped half a bottle of sea foam in the oil and half in the gas. Switching to synthetic oil in about 200 miles.

Last edited:

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never driven a vehicle with Seafoam added to the oil. I usually pour it in and let it sit and idle up until it gets up to operating temp for a while then drain it.

Either way I would add a bottle of stop leak to the oil when you change it next. Seafoam and other solvents are ******* engine seals and gaskets.

Members online

No members online now.