Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, looks as if my rear crankshaft seal is leaking. I've got 71k an change on it now, and oil is coming out between the bell housing on the ****** and the engine. I've looked all over that motor and that seems to be the only place it's leaking. No oil from the valve cover gaskets, and everything above it seems to be dry. It's a slow leak, but enough to notice a drip forming on the bottom of the mating surface.

Grrrr. Anyone know how much it would run to replace? I'd attempt it myself (maybe), but i've got no way to get ahold of the stupid seal puller/installer. (Tools 8506, 8349, 8349-2, c-4171)

And to top it off, looks like the input seal on my front diff is leaking a little, along with the t-case rear output seal.

Oh, did i mention i have to fix all this crap before i go back to the desert again? Leaves me about two weeks or less. ****!](*,)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really need to worry about them? The rear main has been leaking on a Jeep we have for years now.. No big deal really..

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old Ford Contour still leaks to this day and I just said f it. Why sink money into a 140k old car that runs great otherwise if it is only dripping once in a while. Between changes it loses maybe 1/4 quart right now and a lot of that could be attributed to burn off.

Just buy a new engine :)

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
My old Ford Contour still leaks to this day and I just said f it. Why sink money into a 140k old car that runs great otherwise if it is only dripping once in a while. Between changes it loses maybe 1/4 quart right now and a lot of that could be attributed to burn off.

Just buy a new engine :)

Ahhh, another former Contour owner like myself.....definitely not doing that one again!

As far as the rear main, if it's just starting to leak you've got PLENTY of time. Just ask any Jeep 4.0 owner. Tcases leak too....mine will every now and then dribble a little bit, but i'm not too worried about it.

Also noticing some "wetness" on the bottom of my front differential, and then the rear differential didn't seal up as good as I hoped back when I had the cover off changing the fluid about a year ago. So after the Jeep sits for a day or so, it will put down a couple of drops below the rear differential.

No biggie, your Jeep is just marking it's territory! ;)

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really need to worry about them? The rear main has been leaking on a Jeep we have for years now.. No big deal really..

Yes and no. Is it a huge deal? probably not. Is knowing it's there going to piss me off? Probably. The T-Case and Diff seals aren't really a big deal, i've done the T-case once already. Just bothers me that it's there.

Hmmm... maybe i can con the wife into letting me buy a new motor.... And doing a little work to it before installation. :D

tjkoen01

Reaction score
Ahhh, another former Contour owner like myself.....definitely not doing that one again!

As far as the rear main, if it's just starting to leak you've got PLENTY of time. Just ask any Jeep 4.0 owner. Tcases leak too....mine will every now and then dribble a little bit, but i'm not too worried about it.

Also noticing some "wetness" on the bottom of my front differential, and then the rear differential didn't seal up as good as I hoped back when I had the cover off changing the fluid about a year ago. So after the Jeep sits for a day or so, it will put down a couple of drops below the rear differential.

No biggie, your Jeep is just marking it's territory! ;)

I wouldn't worry about it. My 1984 Ford Bronco developed a leak that ended up to be about a quart a week for a while (until the piston skirt broke and tore into the water jacket). That is a mess, I had oil on the inside of the windshield from driving with the rear window down.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. My 1984 Ford Bronco developed a leak that ended up to be about a quart a week for a while (until the piston skirt broke and tore into the water jacket). That is a mess, I had oil on the inside of the windshield from driving with the rear window down.

Nice to see another person from Ky. :)

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rear main seal is the same as my previous car, it's no big deal. It's just annoying that you have to top up the oil more regularly than never. It would cost you a great deal of $$ since they have to remove the bottom half of the truck to be able to access it. And even still, if they replace it, the seal can get pinched and leak again as was my previous Miata. Not worth the head ache and cost. Just a quart of oil every few wks is good enuf.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FL.

Unfortunately, i'm on my way back to dirkadirkastan again, so it's gonna have to wait till i get home. Or longer ;)