Oil in Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, while I was hooking up the trailer I walked away for 15 minutes, then came back and finished. Today I was walking around the Jeep and trailer to check connections, and do a safety check, when I noticed the stain. I cranked it back up for a bit to see how long it took to start kicking that out and if it was really oily or just gritty. What do y'all think? Wondering if I need to be concerned about this.

You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like bit of condensation /carbon & if it was oil, the blue smoke out the tail pipe would be very noticeable.
Inspect the air filter- & PCV valve for being clean not plugged and no gunk down in the oil filler tube.
When was the last time you took the jeep on a good hwy boogie?
I'd be taking a 2 hour drive with some of this in a good premium fuel !
61466[/ATTACH]"]

Good valve & injector cleaner, get those hwy rpms up more often!
Jeep's don't appreciate idling for longer period, even 15 minutes, hwy- put em to the floor a couple of time per day!

Attachments

• JUo4Uzv.jpg
    JUo4Uzv.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like bit of condensation /carbon & if it was oil, the blue smoke out the tail pipe would be very noticeable.
Inspect the air filter- & PCV valve for being clean not plugged and no gunk down in the oil filler tube.
When was the last time you took the jeep on a good hwy boogie?
I'd be taking a 2 hour drive with some of this in a good premium fuel !
[ATTACH=full]61469[/ATTACH]
Good valve & injector cleaner, get those hwy rpms up more often!
Jeep's don't appreciate idling for longer period, even 15 minutes, hwy- put em to the floor a couple of time per day!

The air filter is clean, and the PCV valve area inside the filler tube looks ok. No gunk inside the filler tube, but the PCV valve could be clogged internally. There is some blue smoke from tailpipe, but it's not thick. When I rev it, the smoke almost completely dissipates, rather than getting thicker.

I'd say that the Jeep has been getting up the hwy rpms while pulling a trailer across the country, 4500mi into the trip. Our last leg was Asheville, NC to Chester, NJ via HWY81, so plenty of hills and high rpm. I did put in a bottle of Gumout complete fuel system cleaner earlier today, I try to do that every 3000mi.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With all the high RPM driving more oil consumption is normal. If you swab your fingers in the tail pipe, can you snap them afterward?

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the high RPM driving more oil consumption is normal. If you swab your fingers in the tail pipe, can you snap them afterward?

That makes sense. I just finished the last 500mi leg, and the oil is at the same level. I can snap my fingers after swabbing the tailpipe.

All seems well.