Oil Filter size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Upon the last oil change, I went to buy a MotorCraft FL400S oil filter, and it was shorter (but wider I think) than what it was before (had one of the "old" ones in the off road kit) What's up with that? Other brands seem to be doing the same.

Any ideas? thanks.

redbink

Reaction score
I wouldn't think this isn't a problem as long as the volume displacement is the same. Makes sense that if one dimention gets smaller, the other gets bigger which equals the same differance. A shorter filter is less likely to get damaged because it doesn't hang down as far.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll have to double check to make sure it was wider too- and just an optical illusion. But I agree if it's the same volume or more, it should be fine.

redbink

Reaction score
On the topic of filters, I have looked inside the Fram PH8316 equivelant to stock filter and it has a metal plug about an inch deep inside? I don't think this is a bypass, do you have any idea? Would you agree that this plug would reduce the efficientcy because only one inch of linear filtration is realized, which then in theory would equal one third total filtration capasity. I can't see it being a bypass because if pressure is needed then the oil should flow through the media before activating the valve? For what it's worth the lowest micron count filter I found was Amsoil EA034 @ 15 micron absolute.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, Motorcraft and FRAM dont make their own filters.. Nor does K&N, or Mobile1.. Probably the best on the market and not the most expensive either is Wix.. ORiely and Advantage Autoparts, and Amsoil has them..

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using a Super-tech... Why not, how bad can they be? ANyway I'm running synthetic in it, and sea-foam, so the cheap filter is there to catch the crap that's breaking loose on my 90k motor.

Though I wonder is the thread the same on a lot of filters? can you conceivably run a larger capacity filter in place of the stock size? If so I wonder if that would be a benefit. I think though that the oil pump would at some point not be able to push the fluid in and out of the filter.

redbink

Reaction score
If the filter is plugged or say restricted from doing it's job the pressure will have to be higher to push the oil through. Hense the bypass valve, but what is the point of pumping dirty oil through the bypass - as like no filter at all. You will not know when it bypasses, there is no indication and if there was are you going to crawl under the vehicle on a regular basis to check?

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some really interesting (and rather amusing) videos on youtube of people taking apart different oil filters. The boy and I spent about an hour one night going through a bunch of them, some people get really upset when they find out what the inside of their favorite filter looks like!

Latest posts

Members online