Oil Filter Removal Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I changed my oil today, I put about 2000 miles on it this week. 10W30 Synthetic. I went to Ft. Leonard Wood, then Wappapello, then back to PA.

Just as a note, the larger FL-1A filter DOES fit, barely. It pings off something while you are turning it, as it goes toward the block; around the grip end of the filter, but tightens up firmly. The larger filter will give you better pressure and volume. It is the same height as the original, but a good bit wider, for almost a full quart of oil capacity.

Yes, I put the drain pan in the right spot this time, and the oil went down the plastic chute into the drain pan! Nice clean oil change today...

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosen the oil filter a little ,slip a plastic sandwich bag over the filter ,remove the filter . The sandwich bag will hold the oil spilled from the filter .

Never thought of that before, that's brilliant. I usually loosen the filter up, then use one of those disposable shop towels to absorb the oil while I takes it off.

karter

Reaction score
Got the suggestion on Miata net , I do it to my Miatas and even my Harley (doesn't get all of the oil but greatly reduces clean-up ), and it worked well for the Liberty .

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my oil last night. Thank goodness I had perused the "this thread or I would have been very suprised by the weird drain spout.

The filter was a bit of a pain to get to. I tried a filter socket style wrench first, but the angle was far enough off that I couldn't get a strong connection to the filter. The filter was on to tight to use a stubby.

In the end, I was able to use a band wrench (about 1/16th of a turn at a time). To make that work, I had to angle the handle of the wrench UP and towards the FENDER. That was the only angle that gave me enough room.

Total damage - a small skin scrape on one knuckle and two slight cuts to the forearm.

As some have said, not the worst oil change I've had to do.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, was the socket style wrench the correct size? I was amazed at how well the socket type worked for me, although I did use a long and short extension for easy access.

Regardless, glad to hear you got through it without a big puddle of oil behind your oil filter :).

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wrench was the right size-----Mostly.

It was a two-size wrench. You have to get the filter deeper in, to get to the smaller and correct size. From my working angle, I couldn't get it completely seated. (insert whatever comedy comes to mind here)

It's really a cheap a$$ wrench, but it was the best NAPA had. I've always used the band wrenches in the past, but I bought this one when I picked up my oil and filter because of what I'd read on this thread.

Latest posts

Members online